Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Wisconsin ATV Registration-Hurley

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2001, 03:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all those poor riders who recieved a citation from our good friend CO John Windt, Hurley Wi for not having proper registration on your vehicle from another state, this is what I found out.
John researched "registration". What does it mean? Registration means an assigned number. Title of an ATV as Michigan has does not constitute registration. So, if you are from Michigan you must register you machine with the State of Wisconsin. ?12.00 for two years. However, for those of you who own a machine that weighs greater than 650#, registration of that machine is not possible at this time. Legislation has been presented and is expected to pass which will bring the allowable weight up to 800#.
My logic is if you have a machine that weighs 648# and put a 400# guy on it, you will have a combined weight of 1,048#. Now take a polaris sportsman which weighs 687# and put a 200# guy on it for a combined weight of 887#. What logic. The Wisconsin DNR and ATV clubs across Wisconsin are aware of this problem, unfortunately, nothing can be done until legislation is approved for those riders who have machines weighing more than 650#.

jigginjack
2001 Sportsman HO
Charter member of The "HO" Train

Old 06-06-2001, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

So basiclly, if you have a "new" 500 Sportsman which has not been registered in Wisconsin it cannot be registered in Wisconsin. Therefore if you have a Michigan Sportsman 500 you are persona non grata in Wisconsin at this time.

What a horrible way to stimulate the tourist trade for Sportsman owners from Michigan or any other states which do not have reciprocal agreements with the State of Wisconsin.

Hopefully WATVA is doing something about this.

I assume the older Sportsman models which have been registered are "grandfathered'? Wouldn't that be something, you go down to renew your registration and the lady says "Sorry" but you can't ride that quad here any more. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-07-2001, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

it is a pretty stupid law, and the company that it hurts most-polaris-has two manufacturing plants in the state, it just doesnt make sense, i work at polaris and i wont even buy a sportsman because i can t register it right now, hopefully that will change, if they have the weight limit for trail conservation limits that is nuts, i know a 400 pound raptor could do more damage than a 700 pound sportsman, it is all about the rider,

Old 06-07-2001, 03:57 AM
Trailblazer

It is a stupid law. They are trying to fight it. To purchase a new Sportsman or any other machine in Wisconsin's that is to heavy for there trail systems, you have to find a dealer that pre-registered a bunch of them before this law took effect. That's how I ended up with mine. Mine was grandfathered in so I can use it on the trail. Next year though the dealers won't be able to do it. They will be losing a lot of revenue so I don't think this law will be around for long. But for the time being it sounds like the riders from out of state with heavier machines are pretty much screwed.

A law, is a law. But you think that the DNR would have gave a little more slack to the people when it came to this one and the location of the ride. I could see pressing the charge if you were riding in the central part of the state. But when you right on the Wisconsin/Michigan border with adjoining town so close together you think they could have had better things to do.

Old 06-07-2001, 09:17 AM
Trailblazer

I stopped at the Wisconsin DNR in Florence Wi and had a lenghty discusssion with the officer in charge there. He didnt even know of this "new" enforcement that the Hurley gastapo was doing. He said that if he knew of the law and he was there, he would have issued warnings and not citations. He said that the tickets issued will certainly hurt next years festivities. I know of four people from my town and five from Escanaba that recieved citations. He also told me that the weight restrictions should be bumped up to 800#. I am stopping at the Michigan Department of state today to see if I can legally "register" my quad. I dont see why. It would be just like a boat and then I will put the numbers right on the quad and be legal in Wisconsin. Will give everyone an update as soon as I find out.

jigginjack
2001 Polaris Sportsman HO
Front and Rear Bumpers
2000 Warn winch
Polaris "dry box" front and rear
Heated grips and thumb warmer
Hand gaurds
many options to numerous to mention
not legal in Wisconsin
charter member of The "HO" Train

Old 06-07-2001, 12:33 PM
Trailblazer

Any words from Randy Harden (WATVA President) on this issue?

Old 06-08-2001, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

Hey All,

I called a couple DNR offices in Wisconsin regarding weight limits as I own a 2K1 500 Sportsman also. Being a Minnesota resident I wanted to know what was what regarding the Wisconsin laws as they are published on the web for weight and registration.

I was told by the first CO that if he saw me riding my 500 on his trails he would ticket me and confiscate the bike. He said he knows how much the 500 weighs and what they look like.

By the way – the weight restrictions are based on mfg’s empty dry weight. Add-ons and rider weight are not considered.

I called another DNR office and was told that CO’s don’t carry scales around with them and IF there was an accident or law enforcement action (police etc) that it may be an issue, but that the DNR is aware of the issues and proposed legislation.

So – which CO do you want to run in to on the trails? Sorry Wisconsin but my recreation dollars get spent in Minnesota until your laws get changed. I'll keep my bike and my money.

Old 06-08-2001, 03:15 PM
Trailblazer

<<<<I was told by the first CO that if he saw me riding my 500 on his trails he would ticket me and confiscate the bike. He said he knows how much the 500 weighs and what they look like.>>>>>

I'm getting the visual right now.

Young cop dropped out of the Military Police and joined the DNR because there was more action. Wearing mirrored sun glasses, smokey the bear hat, brim pulled down over his eyes, with a high and tight Marine haircut. Rocking back on his heels while alternately caressing his baton and handle of his Glock 19. Swaggers up to your quad puts his nose in your face and says, "Please step off of the quad, sir."

What is going on here in Wisconsin? There does not seem to be a uniform statewide policy on trail usage or permits. It seems that each Ranger Station is doing there own thing, ranging from 15 day grace periods to instant citations and impoundment.

How would an out of state tourist know where to ride their Sportsman 500 without intimidation?

Old 06-08-2001, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

It is funny how different areas of Wisconsin operate their trail systems.

Two years ago Odin and I went for a ride on The Gandy Dancer Trail which runs from Hudson, Wisconsin along the river up to Duluth. I was on the Pantera and Odin was on the Xplorer 400. We parked at the Tourist information parking lot in Taylor's Falls and went in to ask about required permits. We were BOTH told that we had to have Wisconsin Snowmobile Permits to ride the trail.

No problem, we went down to the local gas station and purchased the Permits. Odin installed his on the headlight pod and I put mine on the windshield where it should go.

We went back to the trailhead and unloaded. As we were approaching the trail from the parking lot we were halted by the State Police who looked at the two trail permits and waved us on.

2 hours later a local constable checked out Odin's permit and gave him the thumbs up.

Now, legally Odin did not need a permit to ride the trails but since it seemed to be local custom and was expected, we complied. I just wish that they would get a uniform ATV code over there.

Old 06-10-2001, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer

Victory:
I got a big chuckel out of your last post. Our local CO was a Michigan State Police Trooper. He quit because there wasnt enough "action".Enjoyed it!!
jigginjack
2001 Sportsman HO
2000 warn winch, thumb warmer, hand warmer, hand gaurds, front and rear bumpers. Many more!!!
to heavy to ride in Wisconsin
I will spend my atv dollars elsewhere
charter member of The "HO" Train

Quick Reply: Wisconsin ATV Registration-Hurley