Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

land o lakes state forest

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 09:01 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ridden this trail system called Moose River atv trail in the Land o lakes state forest in Northern Minnesota? If so whats it like. Thanks

Old 06-13-2001, 06:15 PM
Range Rover

vmaxer, I've just ridden there two weekends in a row. Once with a bike and the other with Traxter ATV's. Do you have a map? it would be easier to talk about the trails if you did.

I'll try to fill you in.

Bugs,Bugs,Bugs...like snowflakes.
Mud,Mud,Mud....Only on Wren Trail You'll need muscle, water, and winches. Sometimes it was better to go directly through the water than take a side trail. rack deep in one area but passable. It was those easy looking mud holes that got us each time, not the long streach of water at some area's.

Land-O-Lakes is somewhat small but we did the trail system in about 4-5 hours, could have been longer if we had more people in the mud, quicker if we just would have stayed off of wren trail.
There were a couple of unmarked trails that lead to campsites or swamps, we just didn't try them all. Lot's of bear tracks but they're small black bear and won't bother you.

If you go up Hwy 6, there is a detour in place now just south of the small town of Emily and Outing, $700 fine if you try to go through as a local resident and yes, it was patrolled by Smokey. Took an extra 35 minutes on the road, but look at the money we saved [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Outing had a very nice Bar and Grill on the lake or river bridge. Very fast service and reasonable. Don't even remember the name but it was fast and good. Last thing: Stop by the fish hatchery right before the turn to Land-O-Lakes State Forest, they have a spring coming from the side of a hill there and the water is great, so fill up there.

All in all not a bad 1-dayer from the cities (3 hours each way). Did you get your Minnesota Off Road Magazine with an insert called ATVentures? Lots of updated trails in there to explore.

One final note: I think the Moose River ATV trail needs a good drag over it. Lots of ruts and rock and fun, but if I was just an easy rider I'd have had a hard time with a some of the trails. We moved a few branches and tree's out of the way, and someone took care of a washed out bridge and some other items, but a drag would have topped it off.

I had taken pictures but they do not do wren trail justice in beauty or challenge, we were soaked, muddy, and wore out so not a good place for pic's.

Have a good ride,

Old 06-14-2001, 02:14 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for info, It sounds like a New place to try, we are going up to foothills in july and this place isnt to far away ,so we might try this the 2nd day, thanks, vmaxer