Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Silver Lake (Michigan) sound test?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2001, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Silver Lake on Monday and was wondering if anyone that's been there lately could tell me if I'll have a problem getting in with a Big Gun on my 400EX. I read the article at the web page (http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/ParkDetai...&Mode=4702) and it sounds like they're not going to enforce anything until next year but I wanted to make sure so I don't make a wasted trip.

Thanks in advance,

Old 06-17-2001, 01:42 AM
Range Rover

Went there at the end of last season, I never seen them check anybody. I got a LT250r with fatty Pipes. It is loud like 99 db. Never got stopped except for flag height.(not 10') That thing will be OK as long as you have a spark arrester.

Old 06-20-2001, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do they check for spark arresters ?

Old 06-20-2001, 03:39 AM
Trailblazer

My buddy called up before we went last weekend. He has Kx500 dirt bike that's really loud. Accordin to the DNR he talked to, sound checks will not start til next season. Man, is that ever going to slow things down. I'm guessing that they won't be checking every bike; otherwise it'll take forever to get into the park. I think they also told him if it was the factory installed pipe/muffler you were automatically in, but I would think you'd have to be fairly knowledgable about quads/bikes to know waht was factory. Most of the people working the booths are just college kids. I read somewhere's that this was the result of some Greenie lawsuit. Honestly, why should it matter how loud you are out on the dunes?

Old 06-20-2001, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

my pipe did not come with a spark arrestor. I have yet to see any sparks come out my pipe, I didn't think sand burned that well anyway. I want to go to Silver Lake, Is there a way to make a "home made" spark arrestor. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-21-2001, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

When I went last Monday they weren't checking anybody for anything. So it looks like I'll be going during the week instead of the weekends. There's a lot less people there too.

Old 06-23-2001, 03:40 PM
Range Rover

OK FLAME ON.
You guys are going to flame me for this but, I wish all riding areas did db tests. I go riding to relax. It's very hard to relax when it sounds like a moto cross track. If you need more power buy a larger ATV.
Ok my shelds are up flame me.
Wayne B

Old 06-24-2001, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

On trails,I agree,however,SL is a Scramble area for ORVs and not a place to ''relax''on your ATV.

Perhaps a sunny day and a Motel with a poolside and blond babe's by your side would fit the bill better?
Bill

Old 06-24-2001, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

Some people relax by going as fast as they can on their quads, sometimes it might get a litte noisy, when I want quiet I go fishing, or mountain bikeing ( my mountain bike is quiet my quad isn't) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2002, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Would you need a spark arrester on a stock ATV, or is it just on the aftermarket pipes?

Quick Reply: Silver Lake (Michigan) sound test?