Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Best Trail for Newbie at Wayne Natl Forest?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 10:46 PM
BK
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have been to WNF a couple of times now and have always had a blast. We have rode everything but Dorr Run though we have been down that lovely boulder strewn hill at 278. This time we are taking a fairly new rider with us. I was wondering where the safest trails would be. Are the Dorr Run trails easier or harder than the others? From what I have ridden so far New Straightsville seems the easiest place to start. Long Ridge is definitely out. Any ideas or opinions? We are planning on going this Saturday. Thanks for any help.

Old 06-26-2001, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

New Straightsville is definately the easiest. I would have to say Long Ridge is right behind it in the easy category.

The rock hillclimb before 278 is pure hell.

Old 06-26-2001, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

Agree'd.......anyone without good riding skills should be pretty comfortable between New Straitsville and "boulder hill". There's always a few tricky spots, but that is why you ride together! Stick em in the middle of the pack.

Old 06-27-2001, 12:22 AM
Range Rover

The New Stsville loop and Dorr Run are great for "newbies". I'd stay away from the Main Corridor at first, some of those hills are a tad technical, especially the "staircase hill".
There is a way around that rock climb hill on 278 but I don't remember it..sorry, I know that doesn't help you. Can anyone tell him how to get around it??????????

Old 06-27-2001, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider

I my opinion, some of the Dorr-Run loops are good newbie trails. There is a section that runs out of parking area #5 that is VERY good for new-guys. Sorry but I can't really explain the trail I am thinking of. Just go to lot #5 and explore!
I would ,however, disagree with The Quadfather about the Long Ridge area. I have NOT covered all it's loops yet, but what I DID run was tight and technical. NO PLACE for a newbie. There were some steep, greasey hills also. The place is a favorite of the 2-wheelers, I think, because of it's narrow, technical trails.

Old 06-27-2001, 12:30 PM
BK
Pro Rider

Yeah, I found Long Ridge to be a bit treacherous myself. I enjoyed it and would go back but not with a beginner. Is Dorr Run confusing to get thru? It looks like it is a series of loops on the map.

Old 06-27-2001, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

HEY BK--- Dorr-Run loops can get confusing, but they always seem to go near the parking areas, so you can get an idea where you are on the maps post there. It is not as intimidating as you might first think. Just go poke around over there, you'll find something. Do you have a map? SLB300ex can tell you where to get one online, if she hasn't already. ENJOY! Maybe we'll get to meet over on D.R. loops.

Old 06-27-2001, 09:50 PM
BK
Pro Rider

Do you know where to find map online? Is it just the small map that is on Wayne's site?

Old 06-28-2001, 08:05 AM
Pro Rider

BK-- Email SLB300EX(in this forum), Sheri has the site to get a map from. Tell her 4-MAN-S (Mike) sent you.

Old 06-28-2001, 09:55 AM
Range Rover

Hey BK, I got your e-mail address from your profile and sent you a map last night, did you get it?? Is that the correct e-address?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Let me know....
Later, Sher

Quick Reply: Best Trail for Newbie at Wayne Natl Forest?