Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Silverton, Ouray, Lake City, (Colorado riders)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001 | 10:45 AM
|
Trailblazer

I am looking to ride the area around Silverton and Ouray later this summer and would like any recommendations or information about trails, etc. I assume that much of the stuff isn’t clear of snow until late July.

We normally ride on or east of the Collegiates and around Bonanza, but every time I drive through the big stuff on the Western Slope I get the itch to try some of the trails. I particularly to get above timberline and take pictures of the mountains.

Old 07-06-2001 | 03:16 AM
Pro Rider

I'll have to check the maps & stuff when I get back home ... I'm in South Carolina now.

There are some really great places there, where you are WAY above timberline.
Here are some of the photos from our ride there last year.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-06-2001 | 11:26 AM
Range Rover

We were in this area last Aug. Alot of great riding. I am not real familiar with all the trails or this area so I am not the one to give advise.
I am a member of the COHVCO they have alot of information and trail guides on their site. www.cohvco.org
We will be going again the first week in Aug and will stay at Lake City.
Have a great trip.

Old 07-04-2005 | 06:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default Silverton, Ouray, Lake City, (Colorado riders)

Gentlemen, and Ladies as applicable:

I am wanting to ride in the Silverton/Ouray/Lake City areas as well. I too will be visiting in early to mid August. I am looking for info on which trails might provide the best fishing opportunities be it from a stream or a pond. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also I would like to inquire about where the cheapest places to stay are...and I was wondering if any of you have ever camped on the trail? Is camping on the trail permitted?

Bob "Never been to the mountains" Bobman

Old 07-05-2005 | 12:34 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Silverton, Ouray, Lake City, (Colorado riders)

Well, since that original post 4 years ago I am still looking forward to my first ride in the SW Colorado area.

A few things to remember about riding the high country:

OHV permits for ATVs are required for public land in Colorado.
Take water.
Take a tire patch kit and pump.
Take sunscreen.
Keep in mind that the weather changes dramatically and rapidly. Lightning can happen out of a nearly clear sky. Mornings are usually the best weather, with thunderstorms common in the afternoon.
Camping is allowed in many areas, but to be sure about where you plan to be, it's best to check in with the applicable forest service office and get maps.
I prefer stream fiishing with a light rod. I hide in the bushes and drift fireballs on #10 hooks over the riffles and falls to entice little brookies out from their hidey holes.
I can't help you with lodging information since I have yet to make the trip to that specific area.

Hope you have a fun, safe trip.