Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This came up over the weekend as a what-if...

Your in dense forest, 24 miles of difficult trail and 4 hours out from the trail head and the truck, 50 miles from the nearest town, and your companion flips the quad ahead of you. They are unconscious and have a compound fracture in one leg with obvious arterial damage.

What do you do?

How could you have prepared for this scenerio better?

Old 07-11-2001, 12:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is one hell of a what-if. I think that I would attempt to administer some sort of first aid by immobolizing the fractured leg and also immoboloize the head and neck area....of course using limbs and my riding shirt because I don't have anything else available.

Second I would have to make a decision as to whether to move the victim or not. It would depend on the circumstances....if I thought there were a lot of riders out that particular day I would wait it out for help. If I felt that we were the only ones out riding that day then I would attempt to load my buddy on my quad and ride out with him on the back....difficult trail or not I have to do something, I wouldn't sit there with my thumb in my *** wondering what I should do. I realize that I would run the risk of killing him on the ride out just from all the bouncing around but I would take the chance.

A lot of things come to mind about being better prepared for this scenario however having an ambulance crew follow me on my rides isn't feasable.

It is good to get us thinking about things every so often.