Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Silver Lake Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK Folks.. My group of riders is heading up to silver lake wednesday.. we are going to ride Thur - Saturday!!

We can't wait.. I hope sand is everything I've been dreaming about..

however, I have a couple quick Questions.

How Close are some gas stations to the dunes? We are trying to cut back on the amount of stuff we need to take with us, like extra gas cans, as space is limited. Can we fill up nightly within a reasonable distance? Only having to caring in a days worth of gas?

Has anyone stayed at silver city II camp ground? Is it ok? We just booked it, hope it's ok!

Has anyone ever been ticketed for loud pipes? I have a raptor with big gun, I could go back to stock tonight, but don't really want to.. anyone?

We already know about the voucher system for saturday, any other tips or suggestions to new silver lakers??

TIA
Brad

Old 08-13-2001, 12:38 PM
Trailblazer

I was just at silver lake last week and haf a great time. There is a store right next to the entracne of the dunes called duneland. They sell flags and gas and everything you could ever need just about. They are really nice and even have an air hose so you can fill your tires back up on your truck for when u air the tires down. The entrance to the dunes is only a couple miles out of town where they have a small grocery store and a gas station. As for the campground I don't know. We stayed at the state park when we where there. It was nice but we weren't there to camp we where there to ride so it didn't matter much to us. You shouldn't have to worry about loud pipes. But when I was there they have a sign saying next year they will be putting into place some sort of sound emmisions test or something. If anyone knows any details let everyone know about it. Well hope u have fun let me know how it goes.

Matt

87 suzuki quad racer
bored .30 ported
sand skate 2s buff tires for front
nerf bars dg pipe and silencer

Old 08-13-2001, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

Brad

You are going to love the dunes. I can't answer your gas question. As for the sound, you will be all right this year, but next year you will have to due something to quiet it down to under 94 decibels. Be sure your system has the spark arrestor in it though. Have a good time and be safe. Dune riding takes a little getting used to as opposed to the trails at Wayne, but very fun. As said before, buy your flags at the Duneland to avoid any trouble deciding if they are legal.

Old 08-14-2001, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

Silver City II is okay during the cool weeks but painful during the hot season as their trees are still pretty small. The state park and Jellystone have the best shade. For gas, you'll drive by the Silver Point General Store on your way to the Dunes(if you drive down by the lake). They have gas pumps for your tow vehicle (and pretty good pizza). Once at the Dunes you can walk to David Allen Racing (also called Duneland) for gas in your can(s). I think they also sell VP race gas, but only in full drums. They also have flags, paddles, mx gear, oil, you name it. As far as tips, ride the area slow at first, (especially on the Raptor) watching for semi-buried tree stumps on the north end and "holes" just beyond the beach dune. After that let it fly paying attention to the "one way zones". It's a blast and you'll probably be back. About the Big Gun system, can you convert it to the "Quiet" system for next year, or does BG make you buy a new system? I've narrowed it down to Big Gun or the quiet rig from FMF.

Old 08-14-2001, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer

We were at Silver Lake the weekend prior to July 4th this year. It was pretty quite that weekend as far as visitors. Make sure you get your vouchers when you arrive. The vouchers "Save you a place" in line to get in. The office is just past the enterance to the dune area. Also you need to get a DNR permit and a State Park sticker. You can get all three at the voucher office.

I wish I had some time because I would go back in a heart beat! Have some fun for me! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-15-2001, 06:36 PM
Trailblazer

bansheebrad,

What part of cincy are you from? I live just north of Cincy, near Landen.

Old 08-20-2001, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

Got back from Silver Lake last night, boy did we have fun!!! 7.5 hours each way from cincy... well worth the trip and we'll be doing it next year thats for sure!

The dunes are a blast... just watch out.. they change fast and often, and all of a sudden you can be dropping 4 or 5 feet without knowing it (that hurt!)

Thanks for everyones tips.. dunelands had everything we needed, however it was expensive...

I took 93 pics, and 25 videos.. if anyone wants to see
Silver Lake Pics

Later
Brad

Old 08-20-2001, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

Brad

Cool pictures. Let me guess, you have been having sweet dreams of a babe on a banshee [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] . I have just one question, did you at least get her name? LOL

Old 08-20-2001, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

Babes on Banshees...
Babes on Banshees...
Babes on Banshees...

Ok.. now that we know what Brad likes.. lol

No.. didn't catch her name.. but I did talk to her boy friend for a bit.. (kicking dirt damnit).. you just knew she had to be there with some guy..

Old 08-24-2001, 02:58 AM
Trailblazer

that chick on the red and yellow banshee was there when i went up over 4th of july, she was really good at walking the boys. great pics. i went and blew up my quad, fix it and blew it really big the next day so my weekend was ruined. but we went on the beach and video taped hooters, and taped or tried to taped chicks walking around town. alot of great video. hardly any quads on taped.

Quick Reply: Silver Lake Michigan