Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield-McKoy Trail System, WV

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 01:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went there two weeks ago. Word of warning...When they say they have 1.) "easy", 2.) "intermediate", and 3.)"difficult" trails, they really mean...

1.) close-to-impossible without winching, but barely passable
2.) pack a doctor in your trunk b/c your going to need one when you roll
3.) bring your helicopter - you'll need one to get in and out alive

2 of 3 experienced riders ended up rolling their quads. One bruised rib cage and one sprained ankle.

Any trail but the "easy" ones are close to impassable and many times you have to go down an intermediate trail to get to the easy ones - stupid set up. One trail system of the three (the one by Man, WV) had a lot of easy trails, but you had to go up steep cliffs and muddy hill trail three foot wide to get to them.

Suffice it to say that not only were the trails poorly designed, but obviously they will need lawyers soon when more people are air lifted out of there! The trails are poorly marked and people had obviously switched the signs to confuse others who pass. They don't check the signs enough either. At least they could point you towards the right trail that will come close to killing you!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 08-24-2001, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

So you're saying the place is great, right? Sounds killer to me.

Old 08-24-2001, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2001, 07:22 PM
Trailblazer

i rode h & m bear wallow trails several months back and we rode every difficulty level on sport quads. we got 2 flats on our weekend and everything else was "self inflicted"... there are a couple long rocky hill climbs that we complained about but other than that we had a great time. we are all experienced riders.

Old 08-26-2001, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry to say it bud but you better put that Quad away and stay in NY.
8 of us rode at H/M last wkend &amp; all of us had a <u>GREAT TIME</u>not one of us rolled , had some flat tires but fixed those &amp; went on. Will definately be doing that trip again . well worth the drive down there!!!! All of us are experienced riders.

2000 Big Bear 400 4x4
2001 Pace 14x7 enclosed / trailer / Camper.
1999 Dodge Dakota 4x4

Eric B.

Old 08-30-2001, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

My experience at Hatfield/McCoy Trails was EXCELLENT. In MY opinion the trails were fairly well marked, with NO chance of getting lost. I appear to have had the exact opposite experience as NYmudder! I NEVER needed a winch during my first trip down in May '01. I am planning a vacation around riding H/M again in Late Sept. I have ridden the dirt for 20 yrs., 1 1/2yrs. on quads, the rest on Enduro bikes.
At the risk of sounding rude, my recommendation is: find a flatter, less challenging area in which to ride NYmudder!

Old 08-30-2001, 09:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I have rode the entire trail system and have never seen this treacherous terrain??? I'll keep my eyes open though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-30-2001, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

gary660r---- LOL!!!!!

Old 09-01-2001, 06:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Myself and 7 others road the HM trailhead for 3 days earlier this yr.I can honestly say that even though I been on ATVs since 1983,some of them trails SCARED the shi- out of me and my high sitting 4x4 Polaris.Its a LOOOONG way down on some of them Mountainsides and im not a fan of heights either.If you have the nerve,these are nice trails,however,I dont see ME going back,

Bill

Old 09-04-2001, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider

muddy4life---- I will agree that there are some places(esp. the downhill, switch-backs) that are EXTREMELY challenging. But, if you use your head, you will be able to negotiate any of the trails at H/Mc. And, yes. there were some &quot;pucker&quot; moments for me too!!!! Respect these trails, and you will have a good time! Just wish I lived closer, so I could ride there more often.

Quick Reply: Hatfield-McKoy Trail System, WV