Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

any ideas on a great trail 5 hours or less fron southern michigan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, i am looking for new places to ride for next season. I live in southern michigan, and have run most of the trails in lower michigan. i am looking for a place that offers it all. River crossings, technical trails, mud holes, and open places to tear it up. I consiter myself to be a good rider, and would like to do the more technical trails in the surrounding states and my own. Thanks for the help, and take care.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-21-2001, 12:45 AM
Trailblazer

yes there are plenty, look up miatvassoc.com you can get maps there. also maybe join up for $20.00 a year and become a member and help us work with the dnr on keeping trails open and doing trail maint. look up there fourm page i posted a trail ride for dec. the 8th. anyways hope this helps. happy trails tim

Old 11-21-2001, 07:25 AM
Pro Rider

Ditto on helping out by joining the club as they are the largest voice we have in Lansing at this time. Your knowledge concerning the majority of trails in the lower peninsula will also be helpful.

From the 'zoo it's 5 hours to the bridge, so I imagine anything downstate is accessible that you haven't rode. Black Lake and Atlanta(longest for me)have to be considered, from what I've heard, in the top 5 of all trails downstate. Most Ohioans that I've read are always going to Wayne National Forest which might be all of your 5 hour limit. Indiana's most popular seem to be Attica and Badlands(also long trips)and there's nothing in Illinos. Extreme E. Penn.? Good luck and hope to meet you sometime.

John
'00 SP500

Old 11-21-2001, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, we Ohioans love our Wayne National Forest. We are also more than happy to share it with anyone, even people from that state up north [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Seriously, Wayne is about an hour and 15 from downtown Columbus if that helps on figuring out travel time. Check this website, http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/wayne/ for more info on Wayne. The Monday Creek trail system is the area that most people refer to when talking about Wayne, the other areas are down by the Ohio river and are a lot smaller.

Old 11-21-2001, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

I would have to say try the Badlands in Attica, IN. I love it there. It offers just about everything you are looking for

Old 11-21-2001, 06:06 PM
Range Rover

Hey, where in Warren do you live?

Old 11-21-2001, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I have heard alot and also read alot about the badlands, as well as attica. I will surly be meeting all the sites in them places, lol. As for joining miatva. I am sure by the way quadstock and michmaniac are talking they allready belong to miatva? Well, i have met the prez and others from the group at the mounds on the toys for tots day, and have full intentions on joining. I havn't joined yet due to it being the end of the season. Should i still join this year, or wait till spring? I love the idea of cleaning up some trails, having a large foice in the government, as well as riding with a crap load of people who love it like i do. As for the Ohio places, i will have to check them out too. It seems that the michigan trails get smaller each year, and what a loss when they closed them all down near rivers and streams. Thanks again, bye[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-21-2001, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

Hey twinshot. i live at 11 mile road and mound. Where are you at, and do you ride alot? Thanksgiving morning, my friend and i are going to the mounds to watch the trucks try to bury themselvs in the mud. Have you ever gone there?If not, then you need to. it is only about 1 1/2 hours from 75, and is pritty cool place to ride.
see ya!

Old 11-21-2001, 06:32 PM
Range Rover

I'm at 9mile and Ryan, and I try to go riding as often as a I can, which usually ends up being once or twice a month. I've been to the mounds many times, but I've kind of lost interest in it. I'm not real big on mud. I usually go to Gladwin, since it's the closest place to ride legally besides the mounds. Enjoy the mounds tomorrow. Later.

Old 11-21-2001, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

hey twinshot, i know what you mean about the mounds. I went out and bought a 4x4 so i can utilize the muddier places more. I am also sick of going to the mounds, but with no other place close, it is all i have on the quick days. I have gone to gladwin many times, off of I 75 at exit 190? The north loop is cool, but the south loop is way too whoopty. It is a nice trail, but only being 54 miles, you can run 6 laps in a day, and it gets old after a while. Back in the day, there was trails about 1 hour north of us, and they ran all the way to the u.p. Just goes to show what the law can do to us when were not looking. Soon, we will be going to the u.p. to ride. Well, at least i hope not!Well, if you ever want another person to ride with, my friend and i are always willing. I dont own a raptor, or a banchee for that matter, but my grizzly can beat the crap out of my warrior, and i have that at stage 2, with the jets, pipe, and air box modd. I can also go through stuff i never dreamed of before, haha. See ya!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: any ideas on a great trail 5 hours or less fron southern michigan?