Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Questions for CT Riders

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 12:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

New here and I have a few questions for you CT guys. I just bought a 2002 Raptor. I am finding out there are hardle any places to ride in CT. The only place I know of near me where it won't be a problem will be Candlewood lake when it freezes over, but that won't be for a few more weeks. Any of you local CT guys know of better places. I have seen up near rt-34 places people ride, train tracks and a minning plant, but do not know if that is legal. I am trying to break in my atv, and it is taking forever driving it arouunf my tiny yard, hehe no room to get it out of second.

So if people want to help a newbie out, please post riding areas, also as of now I do not have a trailer, so I am limited to traveling distance.

Another question, has anyone tried pettioning the Gov for more parks that allow quad usuage?

Raptor2k1 <i know it should be 2k2, oh well>

Old 11-26-2001, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry to tell you, but there are no legal spots for quads anywhere in CT. I race MX in the New England NX series, so most of my riding consists of practice tracks. If you are interested in MX racing visit the website for more info and contacts. www.angelfire.com/ct2/neatvmx

Here are the local (if you could call them that) practice tracks...

Uxbridge MA. www.uxbridgemsp.com
This is a smaller practice track located in MA, right where CT, RI and MA all meet. They are quad friendly and it is a nice track. Currently they are having problems with the town, so long term future is unkown, but they are open right now.

Eagle Bridge NY. www.ebmx.net
This is a larger place. I have not been in over a year, but they have a natural terrain type course, a supercross course, kids track and from what I hear a hare scramble course as well. They are located north of Albany NY but are closed for the winter.

Jack Frost PA.
A bunch of friends and myself took a weekend trip down there last year. It was awesome. They have 3 different tracks (besides the kiddy track). Even though they closed one of the tracks while we were there, we still had fun on the tracks all weekend. On their website (search for it on the net) they list another track as well. I hope to make the trip this spring before racing season.

As for trails, I only know about ones in western MA. I went once to a club clean up/ride at Oct. Mt. and I will never go back. The trails are rocky and not much fun for me on a sports quad. 4x4 country if you ask me. I have heard of trails in Pittsfield area that are better, but never been there. Oh, I know you need a MA registration for the trails, and I believe they are closed for the season already.

In CT, there are illegal places to ride, but be careful. Most are heavily patroled or no one knows about them. Also, I heard the CT has a police helicopter now. From what I understand, they will use it to track illegal off roading.

Old 11-27-2001, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I figured as much about CT. As such I did some digging and talking with someone who works for the DEP, found a web page that might be usefull.
http://dep.state.ct.us/aboutdep/contact/phonefax.htm

It contains nunbers of contacts within DEP. I am trying to see who we can talk too to find out what the deal is. I tried twice and got an answer machine, so I will try again later today or this week.

My friend that works in the DEP heard some rumors about the big wigs at DEP discussing atv issue.

Well maybe we can get a patition going or something.

Raptor2k2

Old 11-27-2001, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I finaly contacted the correct people at the DEP. As everyone knows, there are no state land for ATV riding. As such no rules and requlations are published, and all riding is illegal. Nice freaking state we live in. Anyways anyone know the best way to contact State Rep?

Raptor2k2

Old 12-01-2001, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

Raptor2K1, I moved out of that quad-forsaken state 3 years ago. There is NO PLACE TO RIDE. I lived in Shelton and the few tiny places there were to go were getting shut down quickly. Good luck to you.

Old 12-08-2001, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Hey 2k1 I also have a 02 raptor and i live in the new haven area.Dont you worry about a thing besides getting yourself a trailer to tow your quad around.Ive been riding up in the torrington area over the last few weekends and its been pretty good riding.LKots of trails we found and so far nobody has broken our ***** yet.I have a good place to park also.Its getting pretty cold out now so its almost time to put the quad aways until we get snow for some local street raging [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Once it starts to warm up a little we go riding just about every weekend.We are also planing on going out to mass. and new hampsure for some legal riding also.If you want to go riding in torrington with us you are welcome just let me no when you get a trailer or a truck.Torrington is pretty close to danbury as far as i no.Closer than new haven thats for sure.
Connecticut is such a joke!!!!!I talked with my local dealer and they said they sell more quads and dirtbikes then any other machine.They also want you to regester your atv.WHAT FOR??????So you can pay taxes with no places to ride.Im so sick of getting my chops busted by cops and DEP.Its like they have nothing better to do but bust peoples ***** that are having fun.Like they were never kids before.
I also no of a bunch of other places in CT to ride but you have to take a chance of paying a ticket.I no of a few good sandpits in cromwell and farmington also.
Well keep in touch,my e mail is RockinCarAudio@aol.com I understand how you feel being new and not noing anyone to ride with or where to go.Also when it gets too hot out I have a waverunner and go to the local lakes for some legal fun.You might want to think about getting one.I have a Yamaha gp1200r 2000.Does 64 on the water.Lots of fun.Keep in touch. Tim

Old 12-08-2001, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Tim for the offers. I have to see if my Dad's el crapino can handle the weight of the raptor. If so I wouldn't mind going out riding with you. If cops come bug us, and I am not registered will I get only a ticket? As far as wave runner, I should look into as I live next to candlewood lake. Well all I hope for now is snow, snow and more snow.

I'll send yah an email when I see if el crapino works.

Raptor2k1

Old 12-08-2001, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

"In CT, there are illegal places to ride, but be careful. Most are heavily patroled or no one knows about them. Also, I heard the CT has a police helicopter now. From what I understand, they will use it to track illegal off roading. "

Those cops up there must REALLY have nothing better to do!

Old 12-09-2001, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, we all know that the real criminals are all out having fun on their ATV's and we should be happy that our government is willing to spend millions of our tax money on helicopters to catch these people.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 12-10-2001, 11:10 AM
Trailblazer

I'm also a fustrated CT atver.I've resorted to driving to MA(2 hours from Waterbury).Pittfield State Forrest is great because of well groomed trails,great facilities(restrooms+grills),and lots of trails.Perfect for an all day ride.Season is over now,but I'll keep you in mind for spring.Otis mountain is closer but,like someone mentioned is more suited for 4X4's.I've ridden there many times.
I've ridden off of rt.34 in newtown in the old mining plant.It's cool for a few hours,but I prefer wooded trails.I've had cops waiting for me as I exit.I keep hearing of trails in your area(Danbury).As soon as my quad gets out of shop I'll start looking for somewhere,legal or not.
CT riders need to start a club!Underground if neccesary!
GOOD LUCK!

Quick Reply: Questions for CT Riders