Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Maumee State Forest

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 04:10 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was considering riding there is weekend, and I wanted to hear some input from people who have ridden there.
Any info would be great.
Thanks in advance.

Old 03-06-2002, 04:22 PM
Eq
Trailblazer

There are a few of us going to the Mounds this weekend. It is the last weekend open until May. Should be a nice, but wet...

Old 03-06-2002, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

twin

I would not recommend driving very far to ride in the Maumee State Forest. It only has about 5 miles of trails and they are in poor shape. They are generally extremely muddy this time of year. The worst part about the place is the 4 foot moguls every 5 feet. They are not very fun to ride on. I live about 5 minutes from the place and rarely ever ride there. I have talked to the forest rangers and they refuse to do anything to the trails. There theory is that if the trails are rough, then people will go slower. The bad thing is that the dirt bikes can go through this whereas the quads tend to struggle in the moguls. If you do make the trip, you will be bored after about an hour. Like I said, I live about 5 minutes away, but I usually drive 4 hours south to Wayne National Forest to ride. That should say it all there. If you do go, watch out for the dirt bikes. Many of them think that this place is there personal race track and aren't very courteous when it comes to trail manners. Some parts of the trails are two way and they like to see how close they can come to you without hitting you. Some real bright individuals. Also, if the weather is nice, the small parking lot will fill up and the park rangers (a bunch of quad hating Barney Fifes) will not let you park along the road and they refuse to open up the overflow parking area. They tend to be real jerks. Sorry to be so negative. This could be a good riding area if the park rangers were willing to work with the riders to make it a good place, but they would rather close it, so it isn't about to get any better. Let me know if you make the trip.

Old 03-07-2002, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Last time I was there (Sept./Oct.) they were grading the trails and it was the smoothest that I've ever seen it. The best riding there is the small side trails anyway. It will be very muddy this time of year so if you go be prepared.

Hope this helps,

Old 03-07-2002, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

<< Last time I was there (Sept./Oct.) they were grading the trails and it was the smoothest that I've ever seen it. , >>

Moto

Interesting that they are doing some trail maintenance. I may have to ride over there this weekend and report back. In all honesty, they have not done any serious trail maintenance in the last 3-4 years. Be warned, many of the small side trails are bootleg trails. Not that the Barney Fife rangers will get out of their trucks to go back there, but just be aware of it.

Old 03-07-2002, 11:56 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the replys. I probably won't make the trip, considering it's about 2 hrs from my house, and it seems like a long drive for just a 5 mile loop.

Eq - I was thinking of going to the mounds too. I'm a little worn out with the mounds though, when I first got my bike I went almost every other day. I was thinking of driving the extra 45 minutes or so, and riding at Gladwin. It just depends on the weather.

Old 05-15-2003, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default Maumee State Forest

Can anyone tell me how the trails are this time of year. I was thinking of going there memorial day weekend. Any other helpful information i should no about.
Thanks