Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Stillwater MN?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen and herd of trails of of 36? anyone got the scoop? Is there any thing with in 40 miles thats any good riding?

Old 03-21-2002, 07:13 AM
Pro Rider

I go ridding all the time in the ditches in Washington Co. You can put on about 30+ miles in no time, It's ok ridding, but you have to remember they are the ditches and there are alot of people that dont like ATV's and Sled's, so keep that in mind, however there is nothing that they can do about it becasue its not there ditch, but be respecful becasue they do maintain it. Also Washington Co. is in side the 7-County metero area so you cant ride in the ditches from Apr. 1st-Aug 1st. If you ever want to do some ridding drop me an e-mail at stitchzr2@hotmail.com
Thanks

Old 03-21-2002, 09:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mudstud go to www.watva.org they have all kinds of trails and have a big flood run in may its a four day thing.

Old 04-21-2002, 12:34 PM
Trailblazer

StitchZR2,

What luck, just thought I'd try to get some degree of clarity as to the legality of riding here in Stillwater (up Manning/Cty 10 and 36), came here and saw your post!!!

In your post you said, "Washington Co. is in side the 7-County metero area so you cant ride in the ditches from Apr. 1st-Aug 1st.". Do you know if this is still the case after the recent state ATV debates?

If so, are there maps that show these trails? Ever get hassled by owners or snowmobilers who don't what there trails upset?

Would love to hear anything you know about riding in this area... Also, any good trails across the river (in WI).

Thanks!

Old 04-21-2002, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

The rule is nothing to do w/ the recent war put on to ATV's. As far as I can think the Apr 1st-Aug 1st has been in effect for a long time, its to help prevent erossion becasue of rain. I had one guy this spring chase me down with his truck and told me that when I come to his ditch I must ride up on the road, I was ridding with one of my buddies. The man then said where are you lic. plates, we both told him that they where brand new, then he said LET ME SEE YOUR DRIVERS LIC RIGHT NOW. Well, my buddie is a deputy sheriff and he told him that if you dont have a badge you cant see anything. I then told him that I have the Legale right to ride in the bottem ditch and outside slope, hey they told me that if I ever did it again he would beat me up and then call the Seriffs Dept. I toild him call the Sheriffs Dept. now and he said this is you warning, I then told him that he can warn all he wants but Im in the right. This whole deal lasted like 20min on the side of hwy10. But other then that everyone else is nice. There is some good ridding about 100miles north of hear in Danbury but I dont think there trails open until may 31st. If you ever want to ggo ridding e-mail me at StitchZR2@hotmail.com
Thanks

Old 04-21-2002, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the information. I've got family up in Grantsburg so it shouldn't be much of a stretch to get to Dansbury. We'll be getting our new quads by the middle of May so I'll look you up for a ride.

Thanks again!

Old 04-22-2002, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer

knock him out stitch! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-22-2002, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Good for you stitch! When I go across driveways I normally just idle across as slow as possible, which I'm sure alot of people do. I can't see how this can hurt anything. It is illegal to go up on the road, so I try to stay in the ditch as much as possible. I get a few guys driving by me in cars that just shake their heads. I wish one day one of them would stop so I can hear what they have to say. I live where there isn't very many people, so I don't get too much guff.

Old 04-24-2002, 04:08 PM
Range Rover

I still see alot of people riding ditches by Lake Elmo airport, I wonder if most of the police just dont care? The county guys that I have encountered have been really nice.