Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

More Bishop Area Rides, So. Calif.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These rides are in the Inyo National Forest. You can ride any dirt road that is not posted closed, but no singletrack trails. Primitive camping is allowed, but get a fire permit and maps from the ranger station (on the main street in town). But, I have seen the staff at the ranger station get unfriendly, when they know you are an off-road rider!! These places usually get staffed by a bunch of greenies! Your taxes at work!!

Golden State Cycle is located at the junction of Highway 395 and 6. They are a good source of ride info.

Buttermilk Country-- This area is southwest of town, and has good primitive camping. It got its name because in the old days, there used to be dairy farms that sold to the miners. From town, take Highway 168 West for about 6(?) miles. Turn right on Butermilk road (Forest Service Rd. 7S01). The best camping is about a mile or two in, and on the left side where a stream runs. There are numerous side trails to old mines, and you have easy access to the Tungsten Hills area (lots of trails). 7S01 continues on up to the base of the mountains. There are some stream crossings, a large burned area, some wooded areas, and a several side trails (I got stopped by snow this weekend on one of the side trails). Overall, this is a great area for families with kids. You can ride right from camp, and the kids can play in the streams and rocks.

Silver Canyon-- From town, head north on highway 6 to Laws (about 5 miles??). Turn right on Silver Canyon Rd (follow the signs to the railroad museum). A mile or so past the museum, you cross some cattle guards, and there is a well (you can see the pumps) on the left. This is a good place to park. Forest Service Rd 6S02 starts at the end of the pavement. The road procedes from the valley floor (4,000 ft) up the canyon to the crest of the White Mountains (over 10,000 ft!!). The lower part of the trail is easy and has many stream crossings. About half way up, the trail turns rough and very steep and is not for the faint hearted!! But, the view from the top is tremendous, and worth the climb!! You can see the snow covered Sierra peaks across the valley, and see 100 miles in every direction!!

Coyote Flats-- From town, take Highway 168 west about 2.5 miles. Turn left on Reata Rd. Reata will turn and become Schober Lane I think(??). You will see a power station off to the south. Park at the power station. There are several dirt roads around the power station, but you want to take the road that goes west. This is Forest Service Rd 7S10 which goes up onto a high plateau. There are several lakes and miles of road to explore. Climb to Coyote Ridge for a great view of the valley. This route is popular with 4X4 clubs, so watch for trafic on blind corners.

Old 05-14-2002, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Great info YZGUY, I love that area, havent ridden there, but camping, fishing, and MTB'ing from Bishop to Mammoth is excellent. I cant wait to ride a quad there sometime. Im printing this stuff out!

Old 05-14-2002, 07:32 PM
Range Rover

good job YZGUY, i'll have to check them out next time i head out there