Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

gulfport MS riding areas

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if there is any good riding areas in the Gulfport Mississippi area I will be down there from June 9th to June 15th.

Old 05-25-2002, 09:17 PM
efg
Pro Rider

what kinda riding are you lookin for?

Old 05-27-2002, 09:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

mud, sand, hills, flat anything but pavement. and preferably somewhere that does not cost anything.

Old 05-28-2002, 08:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I know of a free place about an hour north of Gulfport. Its called Rattlesnake Bay. Great place to ride. If you want to try it PM me and I'll give you directions.

Old 05-29-2002, 12:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

I went to Rattlesnake Bay Memorial Day and rode the 31 mile trail in 5 hrs. I did it a month prior in 4 hrs. Both times it was real dry and me and the other rider had to space ourselves a minute or 2 apart because of the dust. This is a one way trail or you will find your self hitting some one going around one of the many many turns. I found the 5 hr ride more enjoyable than the 4 hr one. There were few ATVs on the trial both times. I had called the ranger station up last fall and they faxed me a copy of the trail system. Their number is 601-928-4423, De Soto Ranger District Wiggins, MS. Get the map if you plan to go. You will still find your self not following the trail exactly. There have been to many side trails made that it is hard to follow the map. Both times I had a Magellan Meridian GPS with Topo map which helped me follow my progress on the map. It helped a lot. I saved tracks on the GPS to my progress (peace of mind sort of thing). Maybe next time I can do it without making any wrong turns.

By the way what about the Bethel ATV Trail just north of Biloxi. I have not been there but plan to later on in the summer when I get a better trailer to haul the ATV's on. I am coming from just south of Jackson, MS.

Old 05-31-2002, 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

What can you tell me about the Bethal trail by Biloxi? Where and what is it?

Old 05-31-2002, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey ward660r I am definitely interested. If you can tell me directions I would appreciate it. I am also glad it is free all the good areas to ride up here in Tennessee they have started charging ten dollars a day, but most of the trails are worth it! thanks again.

Old 06-01-2002, 12:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ok from Gulfport go N on hwy 49 towards Hattiesburg. Next exit onto hwy 98e, go east until you reach hwy 29 at New Augusta and turn right, which is south. This next part will make more sense when you get there. Go for about three miles,give or take some, and you will see a large pile of dirt and rock on the right side of the road turn left onto a dirt road. I think there are signs but the pile is easier to see. Keep going until you see the parking lot on the left. I'm sorry I don't have any milage per road but if you follow these directions they will get you there. It can be dusty this time of here so bring goggles. Also watch out for bikes and tanks, your in a military base. We had one tank cross the path one day. Camping is also free but there are no hock ups.

Old 06-03-2002, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ward 660R thanks!

Old 06-04-2002, 12:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Coming from Gulfport it would be shorter to take Hwy 29 at Wiggins exit toward New Agusta; call the ranger station in Wiggins, Phone # on about post, they'll fax you maps and directions.

Quick Reply: gulfport MS riding areas