Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

New place to ride in Louisiana

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 02:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suppose someone was to open a new place not too far from Baton Rouge, an old sand and gravel pit, like La Dunes in Forest Hill;What would Y'all like for it to have other than just dunes;
Examples:: Nice campground with electricity, Nice bathhouse with toilets and showers, maybe a camp store, maybe a snack bar, maybe a covered pavillion? maybe some trails in the woods? And what would you be willing to pay to use such a place?
Tell me what Y'all think..........

Old 06-12-2002, 05:16 PM
CED
Pro Rider

I think $15 a day for Forest Hill is too much,but it's the only place we have.If you build it we will come.I think $10 to $15 is reasonable.

Old 06-12-2002, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

when does it open and can we get a season pass ?

Old 06-12-2002, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

by the way where at in b r ?

Old 06-13-2002, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

Everything you mentioned sounds great!! What about a gas pump? I agree with CED about the entrance fee at LA Dunes being way too high. If I bring the little lady and two bikes that's $50.00 for the weekend just to get through the gate, not to mention gas, groceries, hook-up for camper (we always stay with a friend and his wife in their camper but I always help out with the cost of the hook-up). Where is this place you're talking about? Is it near the Amite River?

Old 06-13-2002, 07:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I agree on everything you said and the gas pump idea is great. Don't forget simple things like air and general breakables like chains. The biggest complaint I have heard about LA Dunes is that it is so ruff. If you could have a few places, for good drags, that would be smoothed out once or twice a day I think you would get a better reaction to the place. Two weeks ago I heard 4 people saying the were not going back to LA Dunes because of it. I would pay up to about $20 if it was a very nice place.

When I was younger I lived in Zachary. It seems like we went to the Amite river alot, where is that?

Old 06-14-2002, 12:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK guys, here's the scoop as of today
I'm negotiating with 3 different people to lease or purchase an abondoned sand and gravel pit (like La Dunes)You wouldn't believe how scared people are of atvs on their property, but i'm giving it my all. All of the places are north of I-10 and either in St. Helena parish, Livingston parish, or Amite. I'd like a lager area than La Dunes and some wooded area also for trail riding; I would promote it as a campground that allows atv riding rather than an atv track with camping(legal reasons). I also have riden dirt bikes, 3 wheelers, 4 wheelers, street bikes race cars and what have you for a long time.
I would like to build a nice place that everyone could enjoy , meaning eventually a camp store, supplies, a few parts, nice bath houses where you can clean up when you give up for the day, etc.
As far as the price of admission, I here what y'all are saying but I used to pay $25.00 per day in the 1980s and 90s and drive 100 miles to get there tof ride a similar setup, (The old Homichitto Campout in Meadville, Mississippi, if any of y"all know about it. But, you wouldn't belive what they want for a 'hole in the ground,liability insurance, not to talk about all of the improvements it will take to the property to make it all work, oh yeah, I would also like to make a couple of dollars off it for all the work it takes; I'll keep y'all informed of my progress......

Old 06-14-2002, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

We also used to ride at the Homochitto campground back in the late 80's/early 90's up until the place shut down. Man, what an awesome place to ride! Please keep us informed on your progress and let me know if there's any way I can help.

Old 06-14-2002, 06:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

100 miles is a short trip for me to get to sand. I live five hours from LA Dunes and have made many one day trips alone. On the money situation the more fun the place is the more you could charge to ride, to a limit of course.

Old 06-14-2002, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

yes i love the sand more over than the track though if it was a bit more groomed in the drag areas and a few goo places to grab some wicked air though try and find that over there . more like try to find your b@lls after a days ride they are flat . and a closer nicer place would be great