Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Where to ride (sand) in California besides Glamis,Pismo

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any other places?

Old 07-05-2002, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

theres dumont. huge razors. no witches eyes, its on the way out to vegas. form baker you head north to death valley. there are several other areas in the vicinity of glamis, like ogilby, and mammoth wash.. here is a website that may help you : click here

Old 07-06-2002, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres smaller dunes east of lucerne valley.Go east on 247(old woman springs).About 22miles east of the stop sign in Lucerne turn left on Boone road(dirt).Follow Boone road to Means dry lake(about 6 miles I guess,the first dry lake you will come to).Once you get to Means dry lake if you look to the right you will see a hill with the taller rocky hills behind it.(The rocky hills are the Hartwell hills where the Jeep people tear up their Jeeps on sledgehammer,clawhammer ect)

The dunes are between the small hill and the Hartwell hills.You can head straight towards them from the lake bed(means) or continue on boone rd(you will need 4wd from here on)untill you come to another dry lake.Once you get to the other dry lake,turn right,go a mile or so and you will find the dunes.

This is also the Johnson valley ohv area.Bring lots of water/food and your cell phone is useless here.

Old 07-06-2002, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

I am in Apple Valley too!

Old 07-06-2002, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Desertbum-------well howdy neighbor!

All this talkin of sand dunes got me thinkin.

I was at the Kawasaki dealer in Victorville this morning.I mentioned to Ed(the mechanic,Iv'e known him since hi-skool)that I may make a trip to them soon.He said he'll be home by 5pm,for me to pick him up on my way out.So I guess I'm gonna go there tonight.

Gonna see if I can round up more people(aka.chix).Not lookin very hopefull as of now though.Maybe we'll find some out there.Maybe they will like short,fat 33 yr old truckdrivers......not! Anyways.

Probly stay till midnight or so.I dont camp there anymore! New years 2years ago we froze....even our water froze.

The summer before that I woke up with a really mad sidewinder in my tent!

I should be hitting Lucerne valley between 5:30p and 6:00p.

Look for me in a dark blue 3/4 ton International pickup with my quad in the back....not hard to spot an International since theres only 3 or so around here.

82 atc 250r
01 Kawi Mojave
89 jeep wrangler
73 International 3/4 ton pickup
68 International Scout

Old 07-06-2002, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

Wife is sick [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Have to watch kids.... Maybe we'll see you out there another time... You also have a '82 250r atc too?!?!

Have fun!!!!

Ron

Old 07-06-2002, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

Ya,I got one too.Cant ride it anymore,I'm too used to a quad now.It feels so unstable compared to a quad.When alot of us go to Glamis or Dumont we take it as a spare bike.So far it has outlasted A 400ex,A trx250x,my Mojave,2 Banshee's and a quadzilla.

Stupid bike wont die!

Old 07-07-2002, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

We had a blast! Except that somebody got his 7300 lb truck stuck in the sand(mental note to self,a 2 axle trailer would have floated on the sand better than an overloaded single axle one).

The dunes were smooth as glass.Hadn't been anybody on them in weeks!My Mojave is a little underpowered for the larger dunes though.I got pretty close to the top but not quite there.The night temp was about 80 deg.We cooked hot dogs and hamburgers, We had 3 burgers but only 2 buns....so I had A burger steak ! lol

There was other people on Means dry lake playing with fireworks,we watched them from on top of the dunes.That was it for people.Didn't have the problems that you have at more popular places(IE people riding through camp or starting fights).

Theres many miles of trails to ride on if you get tired of the dunes.We went for a night ride but decided to stay close to camp so we wouldn't be front page news or buzzard bait.

My Verizon cell phone did work at the base of the dunes,thats new they must have added a repeater near the area.

Old 07-07-2002, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

<<<<My Verizon cell phone did work at the base of the dunes,thats new they must have added a repeater near the area.>>>>>>

Was it digital recpt. or analog??
I need to get a trailer still.. I just got my atc (for kids) and took it home in the back of Suburban, with tail gate down [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The kids mainly ride over here by the rail road tracks.

Old 07-07-2002, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

I didn't notice if my phone was in digital or analog mode....sorry.

I was suprized that it worked at all.I go out there often and my phone as well as other peoples didn't work out there before.

I had a Cingular phone and there service area was useless unless I was on a major highway.Except I-40 between Barstow and Needles...no service there at all.

Switched to At&t,there coverage area was better .....but you needed 3 of 4 bars of signal to make a call.....pretty useless too.Plus It was constant dropped calls.

My Verizon phone will work with no signal bars.I hac 3 of 5 bars way out there.

Quick Reply: Where to ride (sand) in California besides Glamis,Pismo