Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

wayne ntl forest camping?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are there any campgrounds near enough to camp and just ride from you site at wayne ntl forest?

Old 09-02-2002, 10:14 PM
LY
Weekend Warrior

I'd check with the local District office to find out for sure and they can probably get you any and all regulations related to the forest, maybe even a map. You can camp almost anywhere you want to in all of the National Forests that I am aware of. The only rules are that you can't stay more than 14 days, camp where expressly forbidden, block any trails or roads even if they're blocked or gated, and of course the basics, not trash, etc. There are also times when fires are banned so that would be an additional reason to check with the local District office.

LY

Old 09-02-2002, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

I'd recomend CampOhio. It is about a two minute road ride to the trails. They have electric hookups at all sites, and decent showers. It costs $9 a night, and is a nice, flat campground with plenty of shade trees.

It is on Gore-Greendale road, which runs off of SR595.

Old 09-03-2002, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LY is right in that if you want primitive camping (no hookups, no showers, etc...) you can camp pretty much anywhere in the forest. In fact many people camp in the parking lots of Wayne. If you are looking for hookups, showers, etc... Camp Ohio is a good place like the Quadfather mentioned. Another place is Williams. I am only familiar with Camp Ohio, but they are both very close to each other. In fact, you will ride by Williams on your way to the trail when you ride from Camp Ohio.

Old 09-03-2002, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

Camp Ohio is definitely the better of the two private campgrounds within the WNF. The only drawback of Camp Ohio is occasionally some wild people from Columbus and NW Ohio invade the campground and have a big picnic. The next one will be October 19 & 20 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].

Old 09-03-2002, 10:13 AM
Range Rover

Don't do Williams campground unless you absolutely have to--or if you have no need for a bathroom facility. We just parked there Sat. and I had to use their poor excuse for a bathroom and I kid you not, the stench almost made me hurl. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] I wasn't feeling all that great anyhow and it took a while to get the rolling and churning in my gut settled down so we could ride. There is NO sense in a bathroom facility being that gross!!

Man..we need rain. The dust was terrible Saturday. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 09-03-2002, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

SLB

That is the reason that we don't stay there anymore. Camp Ohio is not a palace by any means, but at least they have flush toliets and their showerhouse is not falling over. Like you, I have a relatively weak stomach and cannot tolerate that stench. Hopefully there will be some rain by October. I would rather have it a little muddy as opposed to the dust.

Trending Topics

Old 09-05-2002, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

quad father, the 2 mile ride, is that by truck or can you ride your quad from the camp?

Old 09-05-2002, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

The 2 mile ride is by quad. You actually ride down a county road. Cross a state route, ride along the state route a ways. Then up a stone township road. The sheriff will not bother you as long as you are riding under control. I have had them pass me before riding on the road going to the trail head.

Old 09-05-2002, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, what Magnum said. Keep it aroun ten miles per hour, at the most, and try to keep two of the four wheels on the berm, amd you will not be bothered.

Head out of camp, go right, then take the first left onto the gravel road. About 1/10 of a mile, you will see the trailhead. There is a store a little further down the raod, where you can get your passes.

Whatever you do, stay away From Williams Campground across from the trailhead. That place is flat out disgusting.

Quick Reply: wayne ntl forest camping?