Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Anyone been to Moab?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 12:28 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone been to Moab?

I am heading for Moab in late May, and was wondering if anyone has been? if so what trails are the best, places to stay, and any other info would be great. thanks

Old 02-04-2003, 04:47 PM
Range Rover

I will be in Moab late may also, I am starting at Little Sahara first then heading to Moab, I have found a set of dunes just south of highway 70 before you get to Moab and I plan on checking them out also. I also bought a book that shows all the trails in Moab, it is a 4x4 book of Moab, you can find it on line by searching for "ATV trails in Moab" from Yahoo. Are you staying in a motel or will you be in a motorhome. I will be in Moab on May 19-22, when will you be there, if we are there at the same time maybe we can hook up and ride together.

Old 02-04-2003, 05:06 PM
Trailblazer

i will be there probably may 29-june7. i will stay in a motel. i also bought the guide to moab by wells. it is pretty good, and has all the trails. but the author does not say which ones are best. are those dunes east or west of moab?

Old 02-04-2003, 05:11 PM
Range Rover

To reach White Wash Sand Dunes, drive 13 miles east of Green River on Interstate 70. Take Ranch Exit 173 to the south. This county road is known locally as the Floy Wash Road. (This exit is seven miles west of U.S. Highway 191.) From 1-70, continue southwest on the Floy Wash Road for 12 miles (be sure to bear right 4.5 miles from Interstate 70, and continue straight at 7.8 miles from Interstate 70). Go east (left) at 12.3 miles southwest of 1-70. You will drive by some oil production facilities. The Sand Dunes are visible from this intersection. There are two very large (natural) parking areas just west of the sand dunes. Larger vehicles may wish to consider parking at the area on the top of the hill.

here are the directions I found, it is west of Moab

http://www.discovermoab.com/images/wwsd.gif <-------this is the webpage for the map

Old 02-04-2003, 05:15 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks

Old 02-04-2003, 05:17 PM
Range Rover

anytime

Old 02-04-2003, 08:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here is some accomodation info for Moab : Hotels

I also have some links on my jeep web page (my big ATV) that might be usefull at myjeepsite

The wife and I will be there end of April/beginning of May. Not yet sure if we will take her ATV along, not sure it will fit on the trailer with the jeep.

Old 02-05-2003, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider

White Wash Sand Dunes,

I was camped just north of Moab and rode our ATV's over to these dunes. Well worth the ride, the dunes are not huge, but definitely fun to play around on for a while. Trails going into and out of the dunes leading all over the place.

Old 02-07-2003, 12:16 AM
Range Rover

went to little sahara then to moab last year around august. it was awesome. the thing about moab is thatyou cannot ride in the national parks. but definitely pick up the book. i rode and found the secret spire that was in dirt wheels. it was amazing around that whole area. the canyons and red rock were awesome. ask locals where to ride. have fun later.

Old 02-10-2003, 08:26 PM
Trailblazer

Matt.... We were out to Moab last summer at the end of July/ first week of August. Great time riding, wrong time of year. You are picking a good time to go there. We camped at White Sand Recreational Area, very primitive camping. Rode the Finns-n-Things 4x4 trail right there. This was our first exposure to Rocks, what a hoot! It's a moderately easy trail, with a couple areas to get your attention. Poison Spider Mesa 4x4 Trail is a "must do" experience. Start out early in the day to get the full enjoyment out of this riding. Some very, very good technical areas to tackle. You won't be dissapointed!

If you are interested in doing a Jeep tour, stop at Farrebee's (sp?) 4x4 Tour srevice. You can rent jeeps to go exploring on your own , or you can have them take you on a guided tour. We opted for a "guided" tour of Poison Spider after we did it on the atvs. We could believe how they tackle that trail with full-sized vehicles. If you try the guided tour, ask for Robert Castaldo as your driver on Poison Spider. Robert will definitely show you a few things that others may not and you'll have a great time! The tour service also has all the info you need regarding all the trails in the area.

Great riding to ya!

koolkodiak

Quick Reply: Anyone been to Moab?