Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Holy mud batman....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 12:50 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holy mud batman....

I was headed north on 169 just past Elk River, MN on the way to Zimmerman and noticed our local trailhead was full of trucks and trailers. I get a few miles down the highway and i'm seeing mud monsters slogging it out on the trail. What was previously a deeply rutted trail has turned into a mud pit with many long stretches of mud over a foot deep. It was pretty cool seeing those guys covered head to toe in mud. I'm hoping to get out next Saturday. Anyone else wanna meet over there i'm going to see if whereisthemud wants to go as well. The trailhead is in Elk River at the intersection of 33 and 169 just north of Zylstra Harley Davidson.

Later
John

Old 03-24-2003, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

John,

That's only about 15 miles from my house. How many miles of trails are there?

Old 03-24-2003, 01:13 AM
Range Rover

Well, i've personally gone from Zylstra to Zimmerman, maybe 6-8 miles. Beyond zimmerman they go for sure to HWY 9 which is another 4-5 miles. Then you hit an overpass and i'm sure there's a way beyond it and more trails. I just haven't driven past. It's VERY rough going mud wise so those 6-8 miles will not be extremely fast. There are also two sides to the road and the other side i've never explored. I don't think that side is really used much and isn't consistant in its rideability. Even if there isn't a way past 9 (I doubt that is the case.) You can also ride down the side of 9 to 1 in Otsego etc. Those are more basic ditches.

Old 03-24-2003, 09:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Galljc-I was one of those guy's on Hwy 169 on saturday.I have never had my ride that muddy before.
Took 2 hours of cleaning when I got home.O Well it was a blast.We went all the way to Zimmerman and stopped at some
bar/grill for a burger.There was a **** load of people out there.Seen one guy roll his machine pretty good.

It is a fun ride.Let me know when you are going to go,And I will try to meet you out there.

Greg

Old 03-24-2003, 09:49 AM
Range Rover

I'm hoping to shoot for Saturday around 9:30am. That will give me time to ride for a few hours and get my wheeler cleaned off by mid afternoon. (Gotta keep things happy at home.) How did the guy roll? On one of those off-camber parts? Thanks for the update.

John

Old 03-24-2003, 11:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Depending on the weather I will try to make it.
What type ride do you have so I can recognize you.
I have a 2001 Scrambler 500
AAEN pipe,and clutch kit.

The guy rolled his Kodiak on a side hill.His facial expression was classic.

Greg

Old 03-24-2003, 07:59 PM
Range Rover

Some of those off-camber hills are tricky but I havn't had any close calls yet. I have a 2003 black/grey sportsman 600 and my friend Craig "whereisthemud" has a 2003 red Kawi Prairie 650. I'll have a pewter silverado parked at the 169/33 trailhead its got taillight covers and a non-standard z71 sticker. I'll post here Friday night if anything changes. Otherwise i'll be at the trailhead at about 9:30.

Later
John

Trending Topics

Old 03-24-2003, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmm, guess I am going wheeling Saturday. Sounds good to me. Gotta get some more mud on it. More the merrier. Who else wants to go?

Old 03-24-2003, 11:02 PM
Range Rover

Oh yea forgot to tell you what you were doing on Saturday.

Old 03-25-2003, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

enjoy it while you can. The Star Tribune had another damning article for ATV enthusiasts today in regards to ditch riding.

CLICK HERE

Quick Reply: Holy mud batman....