Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Great weekend at Hatfield McCoy!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great weekend at Hatfield McCoy!

I wanted to let you all know we had a great weekend at Hatfield McCoy this weekend. We arrived wed. evening at Man after a 6&1/2 hour drive from IN. We were to stay at Almost Heaven Rentals, the directions were good and easy to find. Tina came over and got us checked in, me my wife , son and daughter. The next morning my wife and daughter left to go on to NC to see her sister. My and the boy set out with our map to check out the trails before the others arrived. The plan was to take trail 10 to Gilbert with some others along the way. Well after 24 miles trail 10 was closed. So we headed back to Man for lunch and gas. We stopped at the trail head to ask about the map and found out about trail 10 being closed due to a mud slide. We also got a updated map, note check your map to make sure it is the most recent updated map. After a couple tasty burgers at the Family resteraunt and a top off 1.9 gallons in the Blaster on a 2.4 gallon tank. We were off again this time down trail 12 to Gilbert with some others along the way 13 and 31 were some that we really liked. The climb on 31 is a lot of fun. The trip to Gilbert was a little farther than we had thought. We arrived in Gilbert around 5:00 and topped off and had a snack. We left Gilbert in a hurry to try to get back to Man before dark. We left at 5:30 and came straight back 12 all the way to Man we arrived at the rental at 6:40. Needless to say we were moving on, 27 miles by my gps. After a final check we had ridden 82.4 miles on Thrusday, not bad for me and my 12 year old son.
Justin was at the rental when we arrived and we ordered some pizza from Giovanis mmm mmm good. Scott and his son Zack showed up later that night. Friday morning it was breakfast at the family resteraunt again and off to the trails. Man I was sore from the day before. It was very dusty and quite warm this day so we didn't get near as many miles but checked out a few other trails. When the day was done we had around 56 miles. This was about all I could muster on Friday, and the others seemed to be quite dusty. I was leading.lol. Back for burgers and dogs for supper. We had Randy and Eric coming later that night but got off to a late start from IN. They were ther in the am tired and ready to ride or so they said. But by the time we got them fed and a little rest it was raining. We broke out the rain gear and we were off. The others wanted to go to Gilbert since we didn't make it the day before. So that was our plan. We took all the branching trails and got to Gilbert at lunch time covered with mud. Randy had a flat on the front of his KFX from hitting a rock. After Justin and Scott got done with it it had 5 plugs in 2 different holes but it held air. Good thing Scotts 400ex was down and had to bring the Rancher for a pack mule to carry the compressor and tire kit. We walked into the gas station in Gilbert expecting to get yelled at for being muddy. Ordered a Subway sub and I saw my son sit down at a table. I told him to get up that we were going to eat outside and to clean the table and chair up. The lady behind the counter said not to worry about it to just sit down all of us and eat. We couldn't believe it. She said to just sit down that they would clean it up for the next bunch after we left. They were glad to have us and not to worry about it. Scott tried to give her a tip when we left to take care of cleaning it up and she wouldn't take it. Super nice people!! I really think they like to have us riders around. We gassed up and headed back to Man, the trails were getting muddy and slick just right for us. We found a nice little jump out of Gilbert in a big open area and the kids had a ball as well as us. After about an hour playing we were off again. Sliding and play racing most of the way back. Everyones hands were cold and had been wet most of the day so we headed back to the rental. We had logged right at 60 miles for Sat. On Sunday when we woke up there was snow! We got the place cleaned up and headed back home.
I would have liked to ride Bearwallow but still had a great time. The trails are more open, well mapped and marked. Some trails are quite tight and add a little challenge. All in all you should be able to find what you like at H/M. We will be going back! We had some of the weirdest weather, nice day thursday, dusty and warm friday, rain saturday and snow on sunday. So if you don't like the weather just hang around a while, it will change. I can recomend Almost Heaven Rentals, Tina is helpful and has some nice clean places to stay. Everything went great and the people in Man and Gilbert are some of the nicest I have ever met. One guy even stopped by and told us where some other trails were and who would show us around. It was nice being able to just ride right down the roads to the trails, gas stations and food places. The scenery is truly beautiful and I do have pics but havent got them back yet. If you are thinking about a trip to Hatfield McCoy trail system Go! You will not regret it, we had a great time.

Old 04-02-2003, 01:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

What part of Indiana did you come from? I live in the northwest area (Chesterton) were heading somewhere next week for 3 days but were not sure where to go yet. We were trying to find a big area to ride in southern Ohio but haven't been able to do so yet. Sounds like you had a great time, would you recomend it for dirtbikes? were the hills big. Thanks Tom...

Old 04-02-2003, 08:20 AM
Trailblazer

Heading down there on Sat morning for 4 days of riding--staying at browning fork trailhouse--Your trip sounds great.

Old 04-02-2003, 09:42 AM
Trailblazer

I got to do this! It is a short 3 hr drive for me and my buddies! Where did you get all info. at on where to stay and eat?

Do they have a web site?

thanks

I can't wait until I have my kid riding with me she's only 4 and she is already a MOTORHEAD like her "pop"![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-02-2003, 10:31 AM
Range Rover

Willow- we're leaving Ohio for H/M tomorrow!! We're staying at Almost Heaven in Man. Riding Rockhouse Fri & Sat., then trailering over to Matewan to ride Buffalo Mtn. We bought the annual permits, so we'll be riding a lot this year!!

Roosting - if you want some info on where we stay and eat etc., pm me and I'll get you the info. It is a BLAST!!

Old 04-02-2003, 08:31 PM
Trailblazer

http://www.trailsheaven.com/

Old 05-16-2003, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

guys
Thinking of heading to hatfield with wife next weekend. Anyone have any pecoomendation of place to stay that is clean and had hot water for shower.
phone ## or link would be great
thanks

Old 05-16-2003, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

Tomshell5, my uncle takes an annual trip down there each spring with his buddies on his XR 250. I'm not sure what the others drive, but I do know that they absolutely LOVE it down there! The one thing that I have heard him complain about is getting caught out in a thunderstorm with hail...he came back with many, many bruises[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] From what he says, the trails are great and well marked, but very rocky. If you decide to go, have a great time! *Winter Rules*

Old 05-16-2003, 11:37 PM
Range Rover

We stay at www.almostheavenrentals.com (it's in Man - by the Rockhouse system) - If you go to the H/M website that willow posted, click area information then lodging - there are lots of places listed. We're going again in June (13-16) Staying at a new B&B in Matewan (Buffalo Mtn. area). The trails are awesome. They have changed them around some since the last time we were down.

Old 05-17-2003, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

allmost heaven rentals was a great place to stay for us. Very clean nice easy check in and out. Lots of hot water even a washer and dryer. I'll be back.

Quick Reply: Great weekend at Hatfield McCoy!