Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Wellesville, OH

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2000, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to find out information about the Wellesville riding area in eastern Ohio.

1. I assume this is a privately owned piece of land. What are the fees charged for riding?

2. Can someone post some directions bearing in my that I am coming from Northwest Ohio.

3. Is this area worth the 3 hour drive it will take to get there?

I appreciate any information that I can get on this place. Also let me know if there are other riding areas (besides the national forest and the state areas) in Ohio that are accessible for a small fee.

Old 04-29-2000, 01:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Wellsville is definately worth a 3 hour drive! It is about an hour for me. This riding area is HUGE!!! If I had to guess off the top of my head I would guess 1000 acres. There is absolutely no fee to ride. I think the land is owned by either a power company or by a mining company (probably a huge corporation). You can be sure this is not privately owned land or they would have closed it years ago for all the bikes, ATVs and buggies that run in the area.

The only thing I have heard about any problems that are raising eyebrows is riding the railroad tracks that bound one side of the riding area. My brother-in-law works for Norfolk & Southern RR and told me that last year a $40,000 piece of switching equipment or electronics box was destroyed and now the RR is watching closely for anymore problems which could cause them to crack down hard in the area. It is easy to avoid the tracks and I urge everyone to do so, so that this awesome riding area doesn't come under scrutiny like most others have. Trust me, there is PLENTY of riding away from the RR tracks, no reason to play with fire!!!

Now as for the types of riding there... everything from beginner to wayout advanced areas. This is in the Appalachin foothills so you can get into some serious hills!!! But mostly great riding that mostly everyone can handle while not being easy enough to make you bored.

Now to get there, you need to take I-80 (Ohio Turnpike)east to Exit 15. You MUST exit at 15 even though you will remain on I-80 after exiting as this (Exit 15) is where I-80 and I-76 switch their Turnpike designations (if you stay on the pike past exit 15 it turns into I-76 Ohio Turnpike and then PA pike). Follow I-80 east to SR11 South. Follow 11 south for about 40 or so miles into East Liverpool. Follow the Rt. 7 South past E. Liverpool for about 5-8 miles into Wellsville. Exit into Wellsville. Now Wellsville is literally a SMALL town that is sandwiched between RT 7 and the Ohio River. When you exit turn left off the off ramp to the first main road (city street) you come to and turn right. Start looking for tall white silos (they look kinda like small grain silos) grouped together. This is a aggregate plant and the entrance to the riding area (the road in has a sign calling the area there some named Industrial Park). Follow this road in... BE WARNED, the road condition back to the riding area is REALLY BAD... slow slow slow. You will travel this thing they call a road about 2 miles in and will come to a right turn that goes up a hill (past the small house and driveway) turn up this hill you will see a camping area to your left, cross the RR tracks and your in. Find a place to park and ENJOY!!!!

Old 04-30-2000, 12:08 AM
Trailblazer

Good Directions...

I live in east liverpool and ride in wellsville almost every weekend.Well worth a long drive.I've ridden there for almost 10 years and I still keep finding new stuff.

Only thing I can add is take the 1st wellsville exit if you need cas or food(BP,McD's,and a couple stop&go type stores).Take the second to get to the trails quickest.If it's a weekend and you find wellsville you can just follow the other truckloads of bikes in,or ask anyone in in the whole town tell can tell ya how to get there.

If you need a guide let me now...
Greg

Old 04-30-2000, 12:25 PM
Trailblazer

How far is this place from hillsville? And could some one give me directions from hillsville

Old 04-30-2000, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the information. This sounds like a kick _ss place. I will post a message or email you when I am planning on going there, maybe we'll see you there.

Old 05-01-2000, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer

From Hillsville follow 224 back into Ohio toward Canfield,Then Take rt 11 south to rt 7 south to second wellsville exit.See the first msg. for the rest of the directions.Take about 45 min to 1 hour depending on traffic in the boardman area.

Greg

Old 05-01-2000, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

fast, take rt 60 from your house all the way down to Beaver and follow 68 along the river into East Liverpool....picking up rt 7 from there. It's all downstream. You'll save oodles of time.

Old 05-15-2000, 03:02 AM
Trailblazer

anyone know the street its on. were planning on going this saturday. any info would be appreciated. Whats it like hows the jumps are there mx tracks

Old 05-17-2000, 11:03 PM
Trailblazer

Be warned the area has changed since the original post.The land was purchased/leased by someone who is trying to clean up the area.They now have security and you must pay to ride.I have not broken down and paid yet but the pricing is $25 dollars first time,$10 each time after that or $225 for the year.These are per person prices.

As far as the road name I'm not sure it has one.It used to be S.R.7 thirty years ago but now it's just a road that runs parallel to new SR 7 the exit you want is Aten Ave,SR 39 but that's just where you get off the highway.Just print the above msg ans follow the directions.you can't rely on following other people anymore cuz it's not that busy now.

There is nothing even resembling an MX track there mostly trails and hills there are a few good jumps but it's just natural terrain not man made stuff,

Greg

Old 05-19-2000, 03:18 PM
Trailblazer

Whooaaahhh, hold on! You mean they're actually CHARGING to get into the Wellsville pits now?!? I was there Easter weekend & they weren't charging then, this must be really recent. If that's true, it sucks! It's a great riding area, but I can't see charging $25 to get in there. If my wife and I go and each take a quad, it's going to cost $50? LAME!!!