Yamaha Side by Sides Talk about the durable Yamaha Sport and Utility

Rhino Oil issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rhino Oil issues

Still checking... Anyone else dealing with this? Any new dealer news?

JimmyDon:
How's your 686 holding up...? I've heard from a lot of people that the 686 pistons develop a crack across the top?

Rude Dog

Old 01-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhino Oil issues

Rudedog. I am Highly disappointed. I have replaced the headgasket on my rhino 8 times. I have shaved the cylinder and the head. I have done every trick that I can think of and it keeps blowin head gaskets. It will haul *** and the power is unbelieveable but after about 10 mins. of ridin the gasket goes. This is the 686 kit that pro-tec racing offers.

I just ordered a special order gasket from cometic gaskets. It is suppose to with stand high compression. May put it on this wkend., not sure yet. Tired of turning wrenches on my bike.

Oh and to answer your question (sorry), the piston looks great everytime that I have taken it apart. Actually everything looks good. I know that it wont run on regular or premium gas very well. I have to put supreme in and octane boost. I WANNA RIDE! Thanks checkin in on me.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rhino Oil issues

No oil problem so far...but did have a screw back out of the shift mechanism and left me sitting in the woods....

Old 01-18-2008, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rhino Oil issues

Shifter Screw: I had the same screw back out last July @ the end of my Oregon Dunes trip. Lucky it was in 4 wheel high so I was able motor'd back, find the problem and tighten it up.

Rude Dog

Old 01-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rhino Oil issues

Where is this screw located so I can watch out for this as well?

Old 01-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rhino Oil issues

Take off the engine cover,and look at the shift rod. It is in the end of the lever that shifts the gear. Best I can do.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rhino Oil issues

Thanks pwilly!

Old 03-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rhino Oil issues

Bump.... Still hoping for more news/info..

Old 10-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rhino Oil issues"></title><script src=

in reference to the below

Ok here's on for you to check on out there in Rhino land,
I noticed my 07 sport edition using oil again although it was definetly not burning it.
I pulled the engine cover and found oil around the floor pan at the front drive shaft area and to my amazement there was the out put retaining nut for the front shaft drive yoke laying in the oil.
The yoke and shaft was starting to migrate out of the splines and was leaking the engine oil.

I am having the same problem... how did you fix??? I am not sure if i have to remove the drive shaft? or is there an easy way???

Old 07-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

WOW! thanks for posting this, because I have the exact same problem. I have an '05 660 with cold air intake, K&N, Pre-filter, & belt case filter. I have sheave upgrade, CDI, & White Bros dual exhaust. Also have "power now valve", and jet kit. I go through oil. No blue smoke, no leaks. i notice that the RHino is often being driven pedal-to-the-plastic, so maybe the constant hard driving/high revs contribute??

I was down a quart, after about 500 miles of hard riding. I just know to keep an eye on it, and add as needed. Seems to me if there was a compression issue, I'd have difficulty starting or poor performance. It starts first try (with choke), then runs good right away, and has lots of power.

i haven't removed my side cover to look at shift fork. Do I need a new gasket if I pull that cover off?

Quick Reply: Rhino Oil issues