Yamaha Side by Sides Talk about the durable Yamaha Sport and Utility

Yamaha Rhino Rollovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Rhino Rollovers

You are correct. People have to accept responsibilty. Yamaha considered doors in the design stage but dismissed the idea, they never tested the Rhino with crash test dummies to see what happens to the human body when a Rhino tips over. In 2002 at a Rhino meeting a Yamaha exec asks about the stability issue, he is concerned about liability. For years Yamaha has with held over 4000 pages of documents that they were required to produce in law suits. They even gave sworn statements that there were no other documents. In testing the Rhino they had at least 20 tip overs, but they NEVER tried to determine why, or what a roll over would do to a human. It is a fact that the seat belts do NOT hold you in on a tip over.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Rhino Rollovers

Kawasaki began making vehicles similar to the Rhino many, many years ago and I have a 1990 Mules 500 as well as a 1997 550. It does not have doors and the only "safety" feature is one seat belt even though it has a bench seat. The 1990 model does not have side bolsters to help keep you from sliding out while the 1997 model does. I have yet to hear of any lawsuits against these machines.

Four wheel ATV's were in widespread use for many years prior to the introduction of the Rhino and other ATV/RUV type vehicles. These are shorter, narrower and have neither a ROPS or seat belt even though this has been recommended by various organizations. A Rhino or ANY other RUV/ATV is safer than any ATV and yet I have seen no manufacturer singled out and sued for failure to conduct such tests as you describe.

I have had my Rhino for well over two and one half years without any problems with stability and it does not have spacers or aftermarket tires nor have I added doors to it at this point. Over half of my riding is in the hills and I have never turned this machine over or even come close. If a person does not feel these machines then by all means do not buy one or let a loved one near them, but my experience has been that the Rhino is not uniquely dangerous to operate or to be a passenger when operated within its design parameters.