Backfire is blowing the carb off the intake. - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Yamaha Side by Sides Talk about the durable Yamaha Sport and Utility

Backfire is blowing the carb off the intake.

  #1  
Old 05-03-2016, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3
Default Backfire is blowing the carb off the intake.

I have a 1999 grizzly 600. Twice the motor backfired and pushed the rubber sleeve that connects the carb to the intake off of the intake. I loosened the clamp and put it back on both times. A friend told me to check the spark. The spark seemed weak. My friend said if the spark is too weak, the cylinder loads up with gas. Then when it does fire it will backfire. I replaced the spark plug. No backfire for two days. Then it backfired and pushed the rubber sleeve and carb off the intake again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
 
  #2  
Old 05-04-2016, 12:05 PM
Fasteratv's Avatar
Pro Rider
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Whitesburg, TN
Posts: 591
Default

Originally Posted by Logan1999 View Post
I have a 1999 grizzly 600. Twice the motor backfired and pushed the rubber sleeve that connects the carb to the intake off of the intake. I loosened the clamp and put it back on both times. A friend told me to check the spark. The spark seemed weak. My friend said if the spark is too weak, the cylinder loads up with gas. Then when it does fire it will backfire. I replaced the spark plug. No backfire for two days. Then it backfired and pushed the rubber sleeve and carb off the intake again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
What is the condition of the battery? Have you checked to ensure the intake boot and airbox boot have no holes/cracks....and the intake boot is well secured to head?
 
  #3  
Old 05-04-2016, 08:23 PM
hydrex's Avatar
Pro Rider
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Penobscot, Maine
Posts: 1,173
Default

If the boots are ok, you might clean the carb. Could be a tiny bit of crud partially plugging up the pilot jet causing a lean condition. Lean condition can cause backfires on deceleration. Bad for the motor too.
 
  #4  
Old 05-04-2016, 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3
Default

Originally Posted by Fasteratv View Post
What is the condition of the battery? Have you checked to ensure the intake boot and airbox boot have no holes/cracks....and the intake boot is well secured to head?
Battery seems fine. It starts the motor everyday. I haven't checked the boot yet. I worked late. I will check it tomorrow.
Are you saying that the backfire can be caused by a loose boot, hole in the boot, or a cracked boot?
 
  #5  
Old 05-04-2016, 11:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3
Default

Originally Posted by hydrex View Post
If the boots are ok, you might clean the carb. Could be a tiny bit of crud partially plugging up the pilot jet causing a lean condition. Lean condition can cause backfires on deceleration. Bad for the motor too.
I just purchased this ATV about 6 weeks ago from a small engine mechanic. He said he cleaned the carb about a month prior. The boots could be the cause of the backfire? Haven't had time to check them yet.
 
  #6  
Old 05-05-2016, 11:02 AM
Fasteratv's Avatar
Pro Rider
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Whitesburg, TN
Posts: 591
Default

Originally Posted by Logan1999 View Post
I just purchased this ATV about 6 weeks ago from a small engine mechanic. He said he cleaned the carb about a month prior. The boots could be the cause of the backfire? Haven't had time to check them yet.
Yes, damaged or loose boots can/will cause this backfiring but...it could be a carb issue as well. There are many folks the "say" they "cleaned" the carb, and actually did but, may not have done it correctly...Carbs are a bit tricky to clean correctly.....
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Luke Sandiefer
Technical and How-To Articles
1
04-29-2016 11:18 PM
gadawg31
Polaris
6
04-29-2016 12:09 PM
Newbie71
General Chat
2
04-27-2016 11:18 AM
nmarcoe
Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech.
1
04-27-2016 08:47 AM
bodatiouskid
Polaris
1
04-17-2016 06:50 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Backfire is blowing the carb off the intake.


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: