Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor pipe question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor pipe question.

i read the reviews and the pipe shootout(dirt wheels) and it seems like the yoshi/alba/e-series is the best pipe to go with.

raptor owners- what is your opinion on these pipes? are there pipes that are much better than these(in terms of $/quality)?

also, what do you recommend for first mods. please name brands and price.

i searched but i would like an updated answer.

thanks.

Old 05-21-2003, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

I can't say enough good things about the Yosh full system. ZERO problems and very nice quality, fit, and finish. It might not be the absolute peak performing pipe overall but it really seems to work well.

First mods - Skid plates: I've had the PRM rear ($95) and GYTR rear ($150) and prefer the GYTR. Also, the GYTR full belly skid ($90) is a must. Then I'd finish getting it breathin even better ! In combo with the yosh I went with the Pro design Pro-Flow foam filter ($100) and Dynojet kit ($80) - seems to work well for me. Next, the Denton steering stabilizer ($150), Ricky Stator Tie rods/ends ($200), and Scotts oil filter ($109) are a very good upgrade.

After that, the skys the limit on motor work (mine is still stock ) and suspension......

Have fun ![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 05-21-2003, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

I like the yoshi because you can use your stock heat shields. On the other ones you cant use them.
( I think ) Get the gytr jet kit and the clamp on air filter. The scotts oil filter will save you $$$ in the long run i recommend it.

Old 05-21-2003, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

The airbox lid must come off!!! I haven't seen the GYTR, i went with the prodesign with the k&n. While the fenders are off go with a jet kit, and add the pipe, then you do the carbs once (easier for us non mechanics). I have the e-series slip on, and love it. It is noisy though so if you have db level requirements it might be a problem. I went with the e-series because I haven't started to mod the motor yet. Next winter when that starts the Yoshi full system will go on my ride. Right now i-'m waiting for my 12 tooth to arrive so I can add that. Good luck!!

Old 05-21-2003, 02:24 AM
Range Rover

yoshimura comp pipe remains to me as the pipe to have. Its is a piece of work - it is one of the quietest pipes out there, but yet the sound is better than most pipes I have heard. It also still has the highest horsepower gains I have seen on a piped and jetted Raptor - 47+hp. Pipes are like opinions when it comes arseholes but the yoshi is one bad mf pipe. I would not trade. The jetting is also very easy with the GYT-R jet kit. (lid off) 160/165, 3rd clip, 2 - 1/2 turns and 3 turns and mine was almost perfect - right out of the box first time, thanks to some great help from sixsixt and raptor03. great stuff!!!!

Old 05-21-2003, 06:33 AM
Pro Rider

of course the YOSHI is good quality - it's made by MUZZY right here in Bend, Oregon.
It is a bit loud - tho not as bad as some.

Am amazed that the pipe industry hasnt made more effort to build performance quiet pipes since the noise restrictions are only gonna get worse.

With the oregon dunes at 93, the only thing that can run legally is the factory pipe. I'm not driving that far to run my stock pipe when i can go half the distance [xmas valley, 99db] and have sand fun there.

but the pipe makers at least need to let folks know they are working on stuff. are you guys listeneing????

by the way, I have a cool xmas valley video i made a couple years ago, if i can find a site or a host. I'll pay for the site, but i dont know how to get started.

I think it would be helpful to every state organization or govt body if they had a video online of the riding area. I'd certainly like to see what to expect before i get there.

go ridin!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-23-2003, 03:03 AM
Pro Rider

Muzzy makes the Yoshi pipe? I didn't know that. So are the Muzzy and Yoshi the exact same pipe?

Old 05-23-2003, 05:21 AM
Pro Rider

yes. that is what i'm told. Muzzy is known for street stuff, thats why most atvers dont know the name...