Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

getting new raptor tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 08:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting new raptor tomorrow

I read atv action and dirt wheels every month.I see all the after market parts but was wondering what preferences people had htat actually use the parts.I like riding trails and sand pits.I may try mx at a local track later down the road.
I have never owned a new quad.What is the best way to break in the motor.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer

Hey, im getting a Raptor too, what color are you getting? I want the black and red one. I am getting mine either this week, or early next week. I read an article on Dirt Wheels website, and there is a shootout for the Raptor pipes. You may want to check that out because some of those pipes add 14+ hp and they aren't that expensive. The address is http://www.dirtwheelsmag.com/detail.asp?id=143 hope that helped.

Old 05-21-2003, 10:13 PM
Range Rover

I got the black and red.Igot a nice suprise when my wife pulled in with it on the back of my mothers boyfriends truck.

Old 05-21-2003, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

Nice suprise for you, how do you like it?

Old 05-21-2003, 10:20 PM
Range Rover

I havn't really had a chance to ride yet except around the house a couple of times.It sure isnt a mojave.

Old 05-21-2003, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

break in...believe it or not...is to ride it HARD. Warm it up, and then drive it like you would with a "broken" in machine with a bunch of hot girls watching. you want the rings to seat. The best way to do it is deceleration and acceleration. dont be afraid to slam on the gas. remember...riding for two minutes at high rpm's is not what the trick is. getting to those rpms from a low rpm quickly is what needs to be done. This puts a "load" on the engine. Dont stay at a constant rpm. Go through the gears...accelerate through second and third and then use engine braking to slow you down. This actually will give you the best results in all aspects. Dont forget to change the oil!

o btw, heat cycle are also important. within the first hour or riding and letting the engine get hot, take a break and let the engine fully cool down. warm it up and ride for another twenty. There is a great article someone sent me when i asked how to break in my new rappy. If anyone can find it, its a great site. Explains the whole break in process and the myths behind it. If u do a search under warrior86 you should be able to find it in one of the threads i started. Good luck and engine your raptor.

Also, try to always hit the starter button in neutral and with the clutch lever pulled. Less strain cause the starters are still crappy on the rappy.

Old 05-21-2003, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer

Thats for sure, do you have AIM?

Old 05-21-2003, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Old 05-22-2003, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

I dont believe that breaking it in hard crap. My buddy broke his in hard and his smokes when he lets off the gas. Wasnt a raptor but doesnt matter. I broke mine in easy and no smoke when i let off the gas. I would break it in easy if i was you.

Old 05-22-2003, 07:48 AM
Pro Rider

not only did i read it on the internet but I actually asked my uncles mechanic who is a trustworthy and extremely knowledgeable guy and he confirmed that the hard break in is true. Its up to you.

Quick Reply: getting new raptor tomorrow