Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor pulls to right

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor pulls to right

I bought a used 01 raptor, it pulls slightly to the right, I can only tell this when I am on the road..Is there a way to adjust this? Would adjusting the tie rods help ? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-21-2003, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

if you can only feel it on the road....... i would think your tire pressures need to be checked...even 1/2 psi between the left and right rear tires can make a world of difference

Old 05-21-2003, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

Ya, I would check your pressure before you go doing anything serious.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tire pessure or your rear axle is not parallel to the front.

Old 05-21-2003, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

i second what six says! dont mess with adjusting anything else before you check the simple tire pressure.

Old 05-21-2003, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

I've read this topic multiple times before....and I never heard anyone say "it pulls to the left"....its always to the right!!....LOL. I wonder if there is some kind of scientific explanation or is it because the power gets to the axle on the left hand side of the quad..causing the left tire to get the slightest more power and pull to the right under accelleration!!...JMO..does this make sense or should I stop holding the whipped-cream can upright when pressing the nozzle??...LOL..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-21-2003, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

What state do you live in?
As far as I know only in just a few states are you allowed to ride on the road anyway[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]lololololo
Just kidden!!!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2003, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

Has anyone ever heard of an equalizer? I've been tractor pulling for around 10 years and tire pressure is unbelievably important. We have an air hose that has clamp on style chucks on each end and a tee in the middle. Put a valve stem (schrader valve) in the tee and you are able to clamp the chucks on the two tires you want equal pressures in and adjust that pressure at the valve stem. I just made a short version for my quads for about $15.00. If you want, you can get fancy and use a cross in the middle and put a quality dial gauge there but in my experience they usually get tossed around and broken.

Old 05-22-2003, 09:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Psycho
I've read this topic multiple times before....and I never heard anyone say "it pulls to the left"....its always to the right!!....LOL. I wonder if there is some kind of scientific explanation or is it because the power gets to the axle on the left hand side of the quad..causing the left tire to get the slightest more power and pull to the right under acceleration!!...JMO..does this make sense or should I stop holding the whipped-cream can upright when pressing the nozzle??...LOL..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Hey Psycho.....if the rear axle is not parallel with the front, then obviously the rear end is wanting too go a different direction than the front...hence, pulling too one side. The Raptor is the worst I have seen for pulling too one side when only off by the slightest margin.....it's the short swingarm magnifying everything.

Old 05-22-2003, 10:17 AM
Range Rover

On my Raptor and others I have looked at the index marks for aligning the axle are not accurate. I pretty much line it up by carefully tightening the axle carrier evenly and letting it self align. Would it be possible that south of the equator Raptors tend to pull to the left?

Quick Reply: Raptor pulls to right