Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

float problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003 | 06:53 AM
|
Extreme Pro Rider
Default float problem

What is going on with my fuel level. I noticed the other day that gas was dripping out of my carbs. So I decided my floats were to high. I tried to lower my fuel level by using the tube from the drain screw on the carb as a guide. I pulled the bowls, bent the "I" shaped tab on the end of the floats towards the needle valve.....NOTHING happend. I have now done this more times than I can count, which makes about 20. LOL But now I have given up. I bent the float tang all the way to where it was touching the needle valve when the floats were down. I still get the EXACT same level of fuel in my carbs....?????

The floats aren't stuck.
The needle valve and seat look fine.
The gas tank is on reserve....does that matter???
The quad is level.
I can't think of anything else. Maybe I am bending the wrong thing???? It the only metal peice that is atached to the floats. The needle hangs off of it.

Anyway I am about to say forget it and take it to a Harley shop if I can't get it right tommorrow.

Thanks for any help

Old 06-02-2003 | 12:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default float problem

That's strange Ward,
I had a similar problem with my old 250R, gas constantly leaking from the over flow, constant adjusting & replacing the needle was ineffective & it turns out that it was the seat that was worn out, Now this was a 16 year old carb so I doubt that you have that same problem but I know what your going through.

My suggestions would be ,
1. replace the needle & seat (or at least check them under a magnifying glass for scratches).
2. Check your float for leaks, it could be filling with fuel & sinking causing the overflow.
3. Use compressed air to blow out all the passages to be completly sure there's no crud leaving a passage open.

That's all I can think of right now,
Good luck.

Old 06-02-2003 | 05:07 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider
Default float problem

Thanks for the advice. I did check the floats for leak and blew out the carbs with air. So all I ahve left is a new needle and seat. Who knows maybe that is it?????????????

Old 06-02-2003 | 06:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default float problem

ward,
on my royal star, (mikuni bds 28 x 4) I set the float level this way, took the carbs off, pulled the bowls, & took a caliper & measured 13mm from the bottom of the carb casting (where the bowl screws on to the bottom of the float tang) I tried adjusting it other ways & I did'nt have any sucess..now this is on my street bike, otherwise if you have a bad needle & seat, ot won't work anyway, either no gas, or too much.. you can call tony O, or monty at 1-800-yamaha-0 (zero) I'm sure he'll be glad to help..