Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Just bought a Banshee

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2000 | 01:01 AM
|
Range Rover

Hey everybody, I just got my first banshee today.. what an awesome machine.. it's a 97 with fmf silencers and a k&n air filter.. I was wondering if I could get some info on it. The guy that I bought it from told me that it was okay to run Supreme Unleaded in it and mix it around 28-1 with 2 stroke oil. I mixed a little today somewhere around 30-1 and it fouled the plugs.. I wasn't lugging around, mostly riding it on the dirt roads around my house. What kind of spark plugs should I get for it and will te Walmart brand 2 stroke oil be okay.. that's what he said he used. Also he said that every once in a while I should burn it rich.. around 32-1. I am fairly new in the high performance 2 stroke world.. I am thoroughly impressed with it. The only thing is I kicked it around 100 times and it still wouldn't crank.. I;'m gonna get new plugs tomorrow and see it that works. It does have that k and n filter and I ride in alot of dust.. My friend own's a 400ex and he suggested that I should get a foam filter.. I want to know if they make a foam for it.. I am hoping I can take it to Arkansas soon and ride at Wolf Pen Gap.. which is a great place to ride! Well any help appreciated. thanks

Old 05-07-2000 | 01:14 AM
Trailblazer

WAL-MART OIL!!!!!!AHHH, I sugjest you buy some maxima castor 927 oil from your local dealer. buy a 16oz bottle and mix it two 4.5 gallons of 92-93 octane unleaded gas. Reamove the fouled plugs and take them to the dealer as well. Get yourself matched up with some champion plugs. DRAIN your gas tank and add the new fuel, change the plugs and it should start right up and run fine. If you want to save a few bucks you could also run maxima super m, or Gloden spectro. also with these you should mix one 16oz bottle to 4.5 gallons of gas. check your plugs after the change and if they are black and wet next time you buy gas mix it two 5 gallons of gas, If they are brown then you are ok.

Jon---2000 Banshee--blue and white, renthals, holeshots

Old 05-07-2000 | 03:45 AM
Pro Rider

I run that wal mart stuff in my LT250, and i run maxima 927 in my banshee. big price difference! but the walmart stuff works fine in my suzuki.

Old 05-07-2000 | 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

Yamalube 2-R is the only pre-mix oil my Banshee has ever seen. I mix it at 32:1 and have had good results. This is 4 gallons to 16 oz. So you will know, the higher the ratio, the leaner your mix. If you add more gas to 16oz. of oil, you are increasing your gas to oil ratio.

I wouldn't mix it at more than 40:1 and stick with a branded motorcycle pre-mix oil. Any motorcycle shop will have one to recommend.

One final suggestion, is your air filter. Proper maintenance of the filter is critical to the way your bike runs. When my filter begins to get dirty, I notice a loss of responsiveness and power. This also causes the motor to run rich (lack of air) and will foul your plugs.

Clean your filter and do it often. If the K&N does not have an Outerwear pre-filter, I would suggest you get one. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2000 | 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

yo dave! sounds like whatever you did worked. it seemed to be runnin pretty much perfect when you came by ealier.it started on the first kick! just mix it 32:1 and keep you a few extra plugs laying around and you'll be good to go. I have a thing that will make mixing gas for you alot easier. so you wanna go riding on wednesday?? maybe when can get dj to go too. man what do I gotta do to my ex to hang with you guys? 405 kit??? lol ok anyways talk to ya later. bye

Old 05-09-2000 | 11:55 PM
|
Range Rover

Hey Jake, all I did was drain the fuel tank, change the plugs, add some gas, and run it. First we drained the tank, then we changed the plugs.. It wouldn't suck the gas into the pistons cuz it was too rich, that's why it was running bad. After we drained it, we put the NGK plugs in and kicked on it some more.. It still wouldn't crank so took the plugs back out and see if they were wet, but they were dry.. after we did this a few times, we put a surenge into the old gas and squirted a little into the pistons, put the plugs in and it fired 2nd kick.. but it died.. so we did it again and again and finally it started sucking gas. So I took it over there by that saw mill and around the block and it was running great! added gas and oil and wa-la

Old 05-10-2000 | 08:32 AM
Pro Rider

can I have you 99 400ex??? where's it at? anyways so its still runnin good? lets go riding today. call me at my dad's. later

Old 05-10-2000 | 06:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

i run my banshee at 40:1 with blendzall "green label"....it's a castor oil, that smells great.

i wouldnt think that your gas to oil ratio is fouling your plugs...i would check your carb jetting. my pilots are 25's, and my mains are 280's. also check your float height, you can get that spec from toomeys web page(www.toomey.com), in their tech document link. i know, its toomeys stuff, but the spec should be the same.

my bike uses a k&n and i would never use anything else, when your jetted right and the filter is clean, the bike breathes great! i've done the foam filter thing, i wasnt impressed...the k&n flows a lot better in my opinion.

back to the jetting, though...according to what ive heard the mains go like this.
270's when temp outside is 80-100 deg F. 280's when temp outside is 60-80 deg F. just go up one every 20 deg drop(approximately).