Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Cases split for tranny, any upgrade recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cases split for tranny, any upgrade recommendations

I got the quad in December of 01 which would make it an 02. I am having the shop bag the messed up gears and will post the digital pic once they fully disassemble the tranny. Yes, third gear split into several pieces and took gouges out of some other gear teeth. It looked like a brittle break through the entire width of the gear. Probably heat treated too long and became brittle throughout the body. The shop is taking their time figuring out what is wrong with the entire geartrain. The connecting rod got some gouges in it, maybe .060 inch deep max on the outside surface, so I am questioning whether to swap out the connecting rod. Can the bearings be replaced without trashing the rod? At that point, I should replace the pins. Will let you know when I know something more.

Old 06-06-2003, 09:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If the rod was damaged then I'd replace it. While you have it apart you'll need to replace the big end bearing also. Sounds like it tore up more than the average tranny failure.

On another note. I'm not questioning the year of your quad but. As of summer 2002 I would still on occasion see a 2001 on the floor for sale at some dealers.

We only are concerned of the year because we have replaced our 01 trannys with the 02 gears and we would realy like to feel that that problem has been cured for us. So, when someone says their 02 failed we all get that feeling we had when we had the 01 trannys and were wondering will this ride be the one.

Thanks.

Old 06-06-2003, 09:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Turtler, If you don't mind me asking, what are the 5th and 6th digits in your Identification number?

TIA

Old 06-06-2003, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

Wish it was as simple as the 01 2nd gear, 3 v.s. 4 dogear issue. I think I will take your advice on the connecting rod and take care of it just in case. One thing the shop said to me that concerned me alot was that they said my oil was way overdue to be replaced. I had just replaced the oil and filter before the ride. I am wondering if the clutch plates wore excessively just prior to this failure and that is the cause of their comments on my oil. The piston looked fine. Will check on the plates, maybe time to put a Hinson clutch in the Rappy if I trashed it from this failure.

Old 06-06-2003, 09:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Get quotes on the crank rebuild. I'm not sure but when you replace the rod the pin needs to be replaced as well. The new rod, (I'd go aftermarket, ie Carrillo) and the big end bearing for insurance plus labor. A new crank (If the carrillo is not an option) might be the same or cheaper than some will rebuild the old one for after all the parts are purchased and the labor charge. Just a thought.

Old 06-06-2003, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

Good question, maybe you can decipher this id number for me. Will feel like a d-bag if it is an 01 being that I thought I was buying an 02.
The ID number is JY4AM01Y42C010267.

Old 06-06-2003, 10:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks.

Both my 01's have 01 in the 5th and 6th digit just like yours does. I'm not an expert on how to read the numbers and the freaking manual does not explain it. I know there was a thread that told how to read it but it was a while ago and it's probably been deleted. With what I think I know, yours would appear to be an 01 model. Your registration will tell you what year model it is also. With that number. I am 99% sure you have an 01. Hopefuly someone who knows for sure will chime in.

Thanks.

Old 06-06-2003, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

On the upside of this whole situation, the coolest boss in the world, my boss, bought this Rappy for me for Christmas in 01. He even sprung for the pro circuit head pipe, white brothers exhaust, and skid plates. I will temper my beeoooching about the tranny since this will be the first real money I have had to put out for the quad.

Old 06-06-2003, 10:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Man, I wish I had a boss like that. Very cool. If it does turn out to be an 01, I strongly reccomend the upgrade to the 02 gears. Hope all goes well with your repairs regardless.

Thanks, David

Old 06-06-2003, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

i think the digit that matters is the "Y" in the middle. I will do some looking and be back

here are some other differences 2001 has from 2002:

Square subframe made of aluminum - 2002 is tube steel
Remote reseviour on the rear shock, its mounted on the frame - 2002 is piggyback rezzy
voltage regulator is mounted on the back near the tail light - 2002 is on the left side
Upper a arms are aluminum - 2002 are steel

It would be an anomoly if the motor were a 2001 and the frame a 2002..

Quick Reply: Cases split for tranny, any upgrade recommendations