Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor or Banshee...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 10:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor or Banshee...?

I know this questionis getting old and annoying but I still am debating on either a raptor or a banshee after my YZ and Recon are sold. The Raptors are a little expensive and I doubt the sale of the YZ and Recon are going to cover it. Anyways I mainly ride around my grandparents farm which consists of trails, the odd gravel road and some mud. How is a shee for going to the MX track every now and then? I heard the Banshee is the greatest handler but I don't think that will matter but if I need to will 2+ a arms and a wider axle and some different shocks help this? How is it for jumping? Also what colors did the shee come in?
96- Red and yellow I'm pretty sure
97-?
98-
99-
00-
For the shee I am only looking for a 96- 01
I can't afford expensive 4 stroke motor mods (I'm not saying two strokes are cheap to modify but they are cheaper than four strokes) so I think in the end a shee will be sitting in my stable. But any help or advice is appreciated

Old 06-15-2003, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

You're riding area would be more akin to a Raptor's style. As for 4 strokes being more expensive to mod, you're right to a point. If you're talking stock to stock they are very close. If you're your talking piped only, then the Raptor is an easy victor. When my Rappy was piped only, it took a Banshee with reed's, reed spacers, boost bottle, degree key, and airbox delete to run even with me. That's also assuming they're on a fresh bore and running a good pipe(SST's, Toomey's or Pro Circuit's). Piped only and they lost every time.

Old 06-15-2003, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Well, first off, the banshee is a great quad. If your looking at saving money, you will definately do so by getting an older banshee. But all that money that you save, will sooner or later end up in maintenance and pre mix. The raptor maybe a bit more expensive from the get-go, but they certainly are a lot less to ride and maintain. Not to mention that the 4-stroke is a hell of a lot more reliable then the 2 stroke. I don't know, it all depends on what you want to do.
Personally, the only way I would ever buy a banshee is if I where to be riding a lot in dunes. I DONT, so I got the raptor. Its true, the banshee will handle better in the sand, but not on dirt. Thats the raptors backyard!

Old 06-15-2003, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

the raptor has the faster advantage but the shee has very good steering. are the trails wavy or straight that should dicide itrappys front end i s pretty lite[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

2001 recon250
03 z400(awsome quad)
01 90 scammbler

Old 06-15-2003, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

-Also, do you really want to be getting 80's technology, when you have new raptor and yfz technology out right now. I can't imagine 2002 raptors being that expensive here in a few months, they will drop in value because a lot of folks are going to be getting the new yfz. Don't get the 01 raptor though as im sure you already know. Start at the 02.

Old 06-15-2003, 10:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Not to mention that the 4-stroke is a hell of a lot more reliable then the 2 stroke
What proof do you have? 4 strokes have WAY more parts in the motor. the maintenance on a 4 stroke is more time consuming.. And how hard is it to dump pre-mix into a can???

Get the Banshee... It can handle any of your riding area just fine. And the banshee handles just as well, if not better, than a Raptor..

RoostKing...

Old 06-15-2003, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry, but the banshee doesnt handle near as good in the dirt as the raptor. Only in the sand bro! What proof do I have? Dude, thats the world of 2 stroked, I have had my fair share. Yeah, there may be more parts in a 4-stroke, but you never have to touch the things! You ever done a topend before? Welcome to 2 strokes! I dont have any poblems with banshees, I love them. Just get sick of keeping them up, and maintaining them. And yeah, it is easy to mix gas, not cheap though, if your using good stuff. I like just being able to go to the gas station and fill up with pump gas! What ever floats your boat man!

Old 06-18-2003, 01:48 AM
Range Rover

Im probably going to end up with a shee because of my budget. Don't get me wrong raptors kick *** but Im kind of partial to two strokes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] But if I see a 02 raptor with a few mods going for a decent price I'll look at it. Right now there is only 01s and 03s. A two stroke can be reliable as a 4 but u just have to figure out tuning. I'm not an idiot around motors, my buddy just helped me do a top end in my YZ. And if I need to I can put some $$$ into the motor. Anyways thanks for the responses.

Old 06-18-2003, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

I'm with roostking on this one if you take the time to learn about a 2 stroke it becomes very simple to do anything you want to it. As for cost of oil it does cost money but I'll spend the $6.00 every tank to get a powerband anyday of the week. And I know I can rebuild my top end faster that anyone with a four stroke. Yeah your top end will last longer but when it does go up in smoke its going to cost you many many 2 stroke top ends rebuilds. But all that aside it doesn't matter 2 stroke or 4 stroke its what you like and what you want to get for your money.

Get the Banshee