Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

atv ban

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atv ban

A town next to mine just adopted a new ordinance that seriously restricts ATV usage in the borough. According to the ordinance, anyone operating an atv on any public street (this includes the simple act of crossing a street from a path and goes against the ¼ mile rule for registered atv’s in the state of PA – it states that any registered atv can traverse public roads for up to one ¼ mile as long as they obey speed limits and traffic rules.). Any way the fine for getting caught is $300-$600 and/or 90 days in jail plus they take your atv. All this because some riders like to rip down streets that little kids are playing on, speed down roads, refuse to stop for officers that were giving out warnings and informing them of the rules for public road usage on an atv, and younger riders running over cops legs trying to escape from beer parties. Now on that last one, any cop who gets in front of a quad that’s rip’n down a path toward them need his head examined. But still, I just think that we as riders should put out some good examples so these kinds of ordinances don’t end up common place.
What do the rest of you think?

Old 06-20-2003, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default atv ban

i couldnt agree with you more. i hate people that take advantage of the privelage of riding a quad. im in PA too. i have A brochure about atv's and snowmobiles but i dont think it says anything about a 1/4 mile rule. How far are you from the pocono's?

Old 06-21-2003, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default atv ban

An ATV may make a direct crossing of a street or two-lane highway if:

The crossing is made at an angle of approximately 90 degrees to the direction of the highway and at a place where no obstruction prevents a quick and safe crossing;
The ATV is brought to a complete stop before crossing the highway;
The driver yields the right-of-way to all oncoming traffic that constitutes an immediate hazard;
The crossing of a divided highway is made at an intersection of that highway with another street or highway.
ATVs may be operated on streets or highways during periods of emergency, if declared by the jurisdiction, or when necessary to cross a bridge or culvert.

Old 06-21-2003, 08:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default atv ban

Equipment
All ATVs operating in Pennsylvania must be equipped with:

A brake system capable of producing deceleration of 14 feet per second at a speed of 20 miles per hour;
A muffler in good working order. The sound intensity produced by an ATV may not exceed 99dbA (decibels), when measured at 20 inches;
An operating headlight and tail light if operating at dark or when visibility is less than 500 feet. The headlight must produce a white light sufficient to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of 100 feet. The tail light must produce a red light plainly visible during darkness from a distance of 500 feet.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/atv/operation.htm