Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

helmets

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default helmets

seems like a good place to post this question [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

looking at getting a few helmets, one for me , one for the wife

Local dealer has a Thor SVS 5 and a HJC CS-X ( I could be wrong on the models) Both are priced the same as what Dennis Kirk has, 150 and 89 (or something like that)

I would assume the Thor is a better helmet, but how is the HJC? I would only wear it when needed, like at the Spillway where it is required. What makes one helmet better then another?

Old 06-22-2003, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default helmets

Is it comfortable, and do you like it! You are going to pay more for the Thor name, and also pay more for vents in the helmet. Go for what you like!!!

Namebrand just means more $$$$$.

Old 06-22-2003, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default helmets

What makes one helmet better than another is -

1) removable lining - makes it easier to clean
2) airflow - some have better vents to get cool air to your dome
3) styling - this is important to many people
4) name brand - equally important to some
5) warranty - I think some companies have replacement policies if you ever get in a wreck and have to replace your helmet
6) peace of mind - personally my head feels safer in a big $$ Shoei than an $80 special, if it is or not I don't really know

But, surely, any helmet is better than none at all. Look at your budget and needs and tastes, and I think it will be an easy decision.

RR1

Old 06-22-2003, 07:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default helmets

The biggest concern is comfort, for me that is fit and weight. If it is uncomfortable you won't want to wear it.

Old 06-22-2003, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default helmets

I have the Thor SVS and I like it a lot. I had a lot of brands to chose from and a pretty good budget with a discount. The Thor fit good, it has good ventilation and removable liner. This will be my third year with it and it still fits good (hasn't loosened up or broken down. I just wish it had a quick connect on the strap, but I guess I can add one to it.

Old 06-22-2003, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default helmets

I am currently using a Thor SVS 4 helmet but plan on purchasing a Thor SVR 2 in the very near future!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] If I were you I would look on the internet for some good deals!!!! If you want you can PM me and I'll give you some sites to go to!! Stick with known brands such as Thor[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img], Shoei, HJC, etc. and you won't go wrong!!! Good luck!!!

Old 06-25-2003, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default helmets

Originally posted by: XtremeRaptor
I am currently using a Thor SVS 4 helmet but plan on purchasing a Thor SVR 2 in the very near future!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] If I were you I would look on the internet for some good deals!!!! If you want you can PM me and I'll give you some sites to go to!! Stick with known brands such as Thor[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img], Shoei, HJC, etc. and you won't go wrong!!! Good luck!!!
I checked around, bets I could find on the SVS5 was 133. I think I'll just get it local.

thx for the input [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

the last time I bought a helmet was in 89. I bought a Griffin 707 for like 25 bux [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I still have it somewhere, not sure where. I haven't wore once since I sold my 250x in 93

Old 06-25-2003, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default helmets

don't be stupid. always ride with a helmet. i've got a MR2 and love it.

Old 06-25-2003, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default helmets

Originally posted by: BLASTERDEVIL2
don't be stupid. always ride with a helmet. i've got a MR2 and love it.

I've been riding since I was 8, never wore one until I got my X, that was the only time I wore one... guess I am stupid [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2003, 03:23 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default helmets

I like the HJC. Great ventilation and very comfortable. Don't let price dictate what you buy to protect your grape!!! You really should wear it all the time when riding, JMO.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: helmets