Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I thought the V-Force 700 was fast

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I thought the V-Force 700 was fast

I race the GNCC circuit and I have seen the V-Force 700 in action since it first came out. I saw all the dual pipe setups before they were commonly available, like the Alien pipes in the first week of March(Florida race). The 700 always seemed to finish well, they often took the holeshot, and they sound so ferocious with a dual pipe (I love the Aliens). I have even defended and praised them on the this forum page many times, but then I raced one.

I was tuning my Raptor in the driveway (new Edelbrock Quicksilver carb) when a green streak went flying down our country dirt road. He must have seen me because he stopped, turned around, and pulled up in front of my house. I waived him in and he pulled into my driveway. We got to taking and I found out that he just had his V-Force tuned up a bit. He had a racing cam and dual pipes installed. At least that's all he told me he had. I think the pipes were Pro Circuit. That thing sounded pretty bad. I told him that I was curious as to how that thing would run, and asked him if he wanted to run them up and down the road a couple times. He said sure, so we lined 'em up. The race was probably almost 1/4 mile from start to finish. Mind you I was still working on getting the tuning correct. I was still running way rich on the bottom and lean on the top.

I pulled him by about 4 quad lengths off the start. I then continued to gain ground until at the end I was about 8-10 quad lenths ahead of him. And that was with my tires spinning and not hooking up until partway through 3rd gear. I can't imagine how much more ground I could have gained if I had traction.

We turned around and raced back the way we came. This time I let him leave first. As soon as he started moving forward I dumped the clutch. Once again I shot ahead of him right at the beginning and continued to gain ground until the end. I stopped to pull into my driveway and he kept on going. I never saw him again.

I guess my days of touting the speed and quickness of the 700 are done until I face off with some better competition.

RR1

ps. If anyone knows of a fast Kawi700 or Polaris 500 in MI, I will be sitting on the line at Silver Lake the whole week of the 4th. I need a challenger. Please. Getting beat by ported big-bore alky burning Banshees is getting boring. I need a 4-stroke challenger to keep things interesting.

Old 06-22-2003, 02:44 AM
Range Rover

Well, I don't want to offend anyone here but this is honestly my opinion about the 700.

My friend and I stopped at a dealership a few days back. Looking at some cool quads then we saw lurking int he darkness, a V Force. That is probably the biggest piece of crap looking quad I have ever saw. My friend and I immediately agreed fully on that response. I'ts ugly. The front end is horrible.

Well that's just what i think about it. I want to ride one though to get a full opinion going about them.

Old 06-22-2003, 04:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

lol.

i agree, the KFX700 is ugly, and bulky. I hate the feel of them when you sit on one. But that's just my opinion.

Old 06-22-2003, 04:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I really like the look/feel of one. I want one.

So how about this carb? You like?????

Old 06-22-2003, 06:19 AM
Pro Rider

I like the feel too. About the only quad I fit on perfectly. I just wish they would cut the bulk.

Old 06-22-2003, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

If you race GNCC why don't you say anything about the bad yamaha raptors not doing anything while Kawasaki is kicking tail, this is not my thought, this is FACTS , just checked the gncc points standing for 2003 , Kawasaki has the lead in a bunch of the classes. Yamaha has the lead in none ( ZERO). MIght want to spend less time racing on the road and more time in the woods ,oh I forgot you ride a Raptor, sorry. Good day all !!

Old 06-22-2003, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

Having seen them do well in GNCC, it surprises me that you would think ALL V-Forces are not fast because you raced one in particular.
If you add a set of duals and don't jet them correctly and/or don't bother to change your clutch setup, (most V-Force owners have no clue how to tune the auto) you're going to make the quad slower than stock.

Alien Duals

Old 06-23-2003, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

Uhhh, Mr Jeffro,

If you read my first couple sentences then you will notice that I mentioned how the 700 was doing well in the GNCCs. That is why I thought it was fast. But if you look back a little you will notice that the people riding the 700s that are on top of the points standings were also on top of the points standing last year, when they were riding a different quad. So I only assume that most of their success is because they are great riders. Even if I was riding Bill Balance's $25,000 custom aluminum framed racer I would still finish mid-pack in the C class because I have only been on a quad for 1 year. If you put them on a Raptor set up for GNCC racing I bet they would still do pretty well. If you put them on a "Prairie 650" (which I believe Scott Kilby raced last year), then they would still be at the top of the pack. Does this mean that a 4x4 is a better trail quad than a Raptor? No. It means that the people racing them are great riders that will do well no matter what type of quad you put them on.

And if you notice, the topic of this thread is about speed, not XC racing. Maybe all that Mississippi mud has clogged your brain.

And now for Mr KevinM,

I don't see the word "ALL" preceeding (that means before) the words "VForce 700" anywhere in my post. I did not say that I thought they were all slow. In fact at the end I said that I would not think they were fast until another one came along that could keep up with me. I am sure there are some really fast ones out there, and hopefully someday I will get to run against one. Then I will know they are fast. This post is just from my first-hand experience.

And as far as jetting and tuning goes, did you miss the part where I said that I had just put on a new carb and was in the middle of tuning it? So don't use the "he lost because it wasn't tuned right" argument. That argument doesn't apply hear because I plainly said that my carb wasn't running right, and I still walked all over him.

I will be at Silver Lake sand dunes next week. I will do a lot of racing. If I get beat by a 700 I will post it here. But I doubt that will happen.

RR1

Old 06-23-2003, 02:07 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

If the 700 had a 5 speed,,,,,,we would all be cryin....

RR1, thanks for the info.

Old 06-23-2003, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

We would all be cryin if we owned a v-force 700!!

Quick Reply: I thought the V-Force 700 was fast