Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly tires vs. Power loss

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 12:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly tires vs. Power loss

Going to need a new set of tires before long, and I'm looking for something that won't suck out the power I get from the worthless lightweight stockers. Definitely weight is an issue, because my 27" Claws just eat the crap out of my low end (rubber band transmission). Very noticeable in high range, and in any kind of rock crawling.

The stock tires weigh nothing, and of course the quad is a lot quicker with them. I'd like to possibly get something in 26" if its not going to eat up my acceleration. Want decent clearance and good woods traction (don't need mud traction, have that covered), but also want to keep the acceleration the same if possible.

Just wondering what kind of all terrain tires you guys have on Grizzly's and how it affected your acceleration and top end reading if any. With stock tires, I can hit 68 on the speedo. The Claws will get about 58 on level ground (of course the taller tire affects the reading, but it takes a lot longer to get there too).

Tell me some good combinations. I've looked at Bear Claws, ATRs, Sur Tracs, Spider Tracs, All Tracs, and maybe a couple others, but don't know the tire weight unless Highlifter sells them. Even looked at a 26" front Spider Trac coupled with a 26x12 Sur Trac, because the Maxxis website said their 26x12 tire only weighed like 22lbs. Not sure if I believe that or not.

Old 06-25-2003, 03:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Old 06-25-2003, 07:33 AM
Pro Rider

Andy..you'd be better off asking this over at High Lifter. These forums, particularly the Yamaha forum, have gone way of the sport quad.
Have you considered the ATR's or the mud lights?

Old 06-25-2003, 10:14 AM

Mudlights are said to be lighter than any other mud tire out there. And just in 2wd ive seen some grizzlies go through some serious s#it. But with 27" tires, it is estimated that you lose 16 rwhp, and if you ask me, thats a LOT! My friend who has a Grizzly has 27" mudlights on ITP cast aluminum rims, and has the highlifter performance kit, and 2 days ago he seemed to actually caught his clutch on fire. Started melting the clutch and destroyed only the bushings I believe. All this was caused from the stress of having 27". I would get 25" tires from whatever brand you like. Just my .02

Patrick

Old 06-25-2003, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

I am in the same boat... I want some 26" mudlites

they look awesome. I would go 25, but the big lugs don't start until you get 26"

Old 06-25-2003, 06:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The mudlites are out of the question. I already have a set of Bi/Tri Claws, and they are about as good as any 27" mud tire. I need something to replace the stockers with. Might even get some wheel spacers to get rid of that narrow Yamaha effect with the stock rims. I got myself kicked off Highlifter last year after GrizzlyMichael or somebody removed my post for using the word "hell". Sent me some message saying that I should watch what I say or I would have my privelages revoked. I PM'd him and gave him a real reason to revoke them. So the HL forum is out of the question unless I just make a new ID. I'll save that for if I ever have a real problem.

Just wanted to see if anybody saw any power loss with a 26" non-mud tire basically. I've looked at ATR's a lot, but they are too pricey for what they ammount to. I figure that Bear Claws in a 25 will probably be the way to go. Totally unsure yet though. I don't need them just yet, but I always like to look.

Old 06-28-2004, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

andy i'm in the same boat as you what did you decide to do about the tires issue???
and how do you like the hmf exhaust did it make a big differance?

Old 06-28-2004, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just mounted the 27 gators on my Grizzly and love them very slight wheel spin loss get the gators

Old 06-29-2004, 10:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ha ha!! I posted this question a year ago, and I still have the stockers on. Guess I didn't get them burned off quick enough. But I guess I'm still in the same boat. Looking at Bighorns, ATR's, and Carlisle Badlands right now. I still have tread, so I'll wait for 26's to come out, and then look again.

HMF makes a good noticeable difference in acceleration. Makes throttle wheelies possible, and makes you get up to the rev limiter a lot quicker than before. Its major loud, but I knew that going into it. I like it, I'd do it again.

Old 06-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Trailblazer

what about goodyear?

http://www.goodyearatv.com/atvtires.html

G.

Quick Reply: Grizzly tires vs. Power loss