Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Snorkeling a Bear 400

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 06:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snorkeling a Bear 400

I recently drowned my big bear. I am now interested in snorkeling it. I dont know where to start? I need some help 'anybody'.

Old 08-15-2003, 06:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snorkeling a Bear 400

I am currently in the same boat as you, although I didn't decide to after drowning mine. I just drained my air box one day and noticed how easy a snorkel is to put on there seeing as there already is one. To my knowledge the intake hasn't changed between our models, so it should be the same procedure. All I did was go out and buy 6 feet of Flexible reinforced hydraulic tubing and some pvc piping. I simply removed the stock snorkel and clamped my hose on, routed it just under the side of the gas tank and up the front right edge of the tank against the cauling. Then connect the pvc to the hose and send it up in front of the handlebars as high as you desire. The thing to remember is you absolutely do not want the diameter of the hose to be smaller than the diameter of hole in the air box, otherwise you would be restricting airflow and therefore reducing power. hope everything works out for you, took me about $50 and 3 hours. By thw way...have you been just as frustrated with the cauling and mudflaps getting caught on things as I have? I finally just busted the front mudflaps loose so they can move freely and i've punched quite a hole in the cauling behind my right foot. ...and another thing, which wire did you splice your winch to, I follwed the directions and it wasn't getting power, so we used another one but it happened to be the beutral light, so you can see how much good the winch does me if i can only use it in neutral.