Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why are people obsessed with exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are people obsessed with exhaust?

I just dont get it. And the market capitalizes on it by charging insane prices for them. Why do people care that much? theres barely any difference unless your running a two stroke.

Old 06-27-2003, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

because with the 4-stroke you get the feeling of a very powerful sounding engine if ya get a good pipe,othereise they giv out about 7hp average? correct me if im wrong but i think its mostly sound and the looks

Old 06-27-2003, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

I dunno bout HP. Id say prolly 2 on a warrior, maybe less. Maybe 3 or 4 on a raptor.

Old 06-27-2003, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

Opening up the airbox and adding a pipe, and of course jetting appropriately will add hp, 3-4 is probably on the low side, 10 is probably on the high side. However 10 hp on a 35 hp machine is big, I know when I piped my raptor and my ds they both really woke up.

That is my thoughts on the matter. Also, if you did not gain anything, they would not be selling. Most guys add them for the power not for the sound.

Bat

Old 06-27-2003, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

yeah, but air box and filter are independant of pipe. They will add no matter what pipe you get and you could get em without even getting a pipe then just uncork the stocker.
Pipe alone dosent get you much power, people just always take off the airbox lid and put on a better filter at the same time.

Old 06-27-2003, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

well i might have to aggree with the high prices but a pipe actually does a lot on 2strokes and a few 4 strokes. machines such as 400ex and warriors are not going to get much out a pipe. but for a blaster and banshee it makes a huge difference with a pipe. my blaster was a new quad with the pipe it has more power and it also reved higher. same with the banshee the stock pipe is very restrictive so a pipe adds a lot of power. 4strokes don't usually get as much out of a pipe but some like the raptor still get good gains on a new pipe. The other thing to consider is the powerband from what i have read lower gaining 4strokes such as a 400ex along with all of them the powerband can be changed and expanded. From the sounds of it the new 450 has a restrictive pipe and you can get 20% more power out of a new pipe and jetting along with airbox lid removal. As for saying that the airbox removal and rejetting is totaly independant i have to dissagree. With my experience a pipe opens up the flow better allowing higher jets and the need for more air. I am no expert but imo i think that the pipe is one of the best value things you can buy for most machines. And the fact that most people buy them first before other mods i think proves my point. but like i said that it jmo and my perspective comes more from a 2stroke viewpoint as you can tell because i'm pretty sure on a 4stroke they call them headers instead of pipes...

Old 06-27-2003, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

well said YFZ...

Old 06-27-2003, 08:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well this is how I tested it. Before I did my mods on my raptor I raced a stock to stock raptor, did the pipe and jet kit, opened the airbox and gained 3 bike lengths climbing a hill even. So there is a difference, not just sound.

Old 06-27-2003, 09:11 PM
Range Rover

I'll quote my Highlifter.com buddy "Tcat1000" who in his own fashion told some yahoo who "didn't get it" how it works.
"Do you think you could run a marathon with a sock in your mouth?"

You gotta let the engine breath....both IN and OUT.

Piping a 4 stroke allows the gases to escape quicker, improves torque, improves throttle response, generally increased mid range quite a bit, and usually can give you a few more MPH up top. But by adding the pipe, it automatically leans out the mixture, and you need to jet up. Then if you add a better breathing air filter, it'll lean it out again.
That is why you should do the air filter, jets and pipe all at the same time if you can afford it. It will save you bucoupe headaches.

Old 06-27-2003, 10:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

Performance gain or not, we will always be putting something on our modes of transportation, no matter what they are or how much they cost, or if they are necessary. Aftermarket pipes look and sound better than stock, besides it's fun to dink around with the quads.

Quick Reply: Why are people obsessed with exhaust?