Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

v force or wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 01:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v force or wolverine

i know the v force is much faster but wich would be better in the trails. i ride with raptors scramblers and a couple of slower 4x4s.

Old 06-29-2003, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

I think the V force is supposed to handle better on the trails, and if it does fall behind the Wolverine in handling (which I highly doubt), it would make up with its awesome power.

JMO

Wall St.

Old 06-29-2003, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

If your goin through deep mud puddles and creeks go with the wolverine but if your just riden and trail and its a good path go with the v-force. the v-force thoiugh are big way to big and are heavey i would get a raptor or z400 instead.

Old 06-29-2003, 05:27 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

Hey Fxcdog, I’ve owned both (traded in the Wolverine for the V-Force). As long as you are riding with Raptors and the like (not Utility types with oversize mudders on all 4’s that may lead you into some places that 2wd quads dare not go) the V-Force is the way to go.

I primarily bought my Wolverine as a 2nd ATV (I have a Grizzly 660 too) so my son could tag along (when he wanted to take a break from his dirt bike). I also chose the Wolverine because I wanted the machine (that wasn’t too big) to have a sporty attitude. It did OK but it was rough ride when compared to the Griz (as it should be given the differences in suspension). It handled better at speed than the Griz but didn’t have as much suspension travel so it would leave you feeling battered at the end of the day. I didn’t really care for the semi-auto transmission of the Wolverine. After experiencing it, I’d rather have either a fully manual system or a fully automatic system (if it satisfied my need in certain performance areas). I didn’t really care for the permanent 4wd either as it makes it harder to slide the rear end around when you want to.

Now enter the V-Force. My son didn’t really ride the Wolverine much (he still preferred his KDX-200 over the quad), so I decided to choose a sport type ATV that was more to my liking. Weight-wise it’s in between the Wolverine and the Grizzly, but closer to the Wolverine (only 39 pounds more). However it has better suspension and handling characteristics than the Wolverine, plus gobs of power to help drive the beast. It’s very easy to snap the throttle and slide, but you do have to use more dexterity with the throttle as to not go overboard with it (it’s harder to steer with your front wheels in the air!). Even though it has an abundance of torque it really is pretty easy to manage as the machine does what it’s told to do. You can snap the front end up in the air with the ease of a big bore dirt bike for clearing trail obstacles (logs, etc.). The design of the machine with the engine (a v-twin is lower than an equivalent sized single) and the gas tank (under the seat instead of in the usual placement which is higher) help keep the center of gravity lower which make off-cambers more manageable. Also helping out in the handling department is the machine has a wider footprint than a stock raptor. It has higher ground clearance than most sport quads because it doesn’t have a rear sprocket and chain attached to the rear axle.

With the V-Force I found I could be riding along the trail and from nearly a stop turn up a loose steep bank and keep going. In the same situation (and I’ve tried it at the same spot) I’d have to put the Grizzly in 4WD because it couldn’t make it in 2WD. The wide tires and lighter weight of the V-Force help out there.

I was apprehensive at first when my V-Force was new because I was planning an extended trip to the Hatfield McCoy trail system. I decided to take both of my quads so I could fall back to the Grizzly if my body couldn’t handle wrestling the V-Force for 3 days (or if the V-Force wasn’t as compatible with some of the rugged trails), but let me say the V-Force surprised me. It did exceptionally well and didn’t leave me sore at the end of the day. Plus it is an absolute blast to ride up hills with. There were some coal piles in the back end of one of the systems (Bear Wallow) and I was flying up the longest / steepest route with no problem at all. I don’t think I would have tried this on the Grizzly (afraid of loosing momentum / bogging down and flipping it). I don’t think the Wolverine would have been good on this hill either as it wouldn’t have been able to generate enough initial speed to assure safe passage. During the brief time I was there I saw 2 different quads go tumbling end over end back down the hill from part way up.

So if you are primarily into trail riding, the V-Force will fit the bill very well indeed and definitely has a bigger bag of thrills to pull from than does the Wolverine. Oh yes, after a little seat time on the V-Force, my son as now decided he likes quads better than his dirt bike.

Old 06-29-2003, 09:26 PM
Range Rover

Did Kawaski pay you for that speech? JK! Good comparison, alot of very usefull knowledge!

Old 06-29-2003, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

i like the wolvy. but im partial to yamaha. in my opionion its a great all around bike. the KFX400 is nice to tho.