Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The Aledo Trip, "By Velocityraptor"

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Aledo Trip, "By Velocityraptor"

The wife & I loaded up and were on the road by 7:00a.m. Friday morning on our way to Broken Arrow, OK to stay the night at themoose's house, where we met up with Donzilla. We did a final run through on our bikes making sure we had proper fluid & tire pressure levels, along with a little polishing and photo shoot. After that was done we sat back, slammed a few beers, ate some pizza, and watched a DVD. Themoose was an excellent host, not to mention he has a workshop that most guys would kill to have and also owns more toys then anyone I've ever seen.

Saturday we were up and on the road to Aledo,TX by 6:30am. We arrived around 12:30 p.m. to find rows and rows of campers and tons of people. We felt welcomed from the get. As soon as we pulled in all kinds of people walked over, introduced themselves, and told us they we were glad we came.

After that it kinda went downhill for me. I started up TUNED and my wife informed "something was leaking", it was alcohol! I figured out the carb flow was sticking and tapped on the side of the carb bowl. When I tried to start her again she wasn't having it. So Randy (Maniac650) came over and helped out alot by informing me that I had too much pressure built up on top of my cylinder due to the bike being over-flooded with alcohol. He showed me how to pull my spark plug and turn the bike over to relieve some of the built up pressure. (THANKS RANDY)

Next I went and did a couple of test runs on the track, I was very happy TUNED was running GREAT. (The track was well maintained via the water truck and tiller that kept the track groomed throughout the whole event.) Then I noticed antifreeze on my swingarm. I was filling up my overflow reservoir in about 30 seconds! I decided to run anyway even though I was going to have to stop each pass and pull from my overflow to pour back into the radiator (of course Don came to the rescue and was my pit guy for this). Not to mention a loss in compression due to the head gasket being blown!!! But, I didn't drive 750 miles to watch everyone else drag race.

Now it's race time and I lined up against a DS (Mr. Meaner), I did wheelie up but caught up with him and won the first race (it was single elimination). Next time around I lined up with Ryan (RaptorRCR), I knew I had to put it all on the line so I revved it up to 9200 rpm and dumped the clutch (please refer to the "Well they made it" post for a picture).

I injured my tailbone pretty bad and burnt my hand and leg. TUNED only had a banged up pipe and bent grab bar (as far as we could tell). So 14mins and RaptorRCR offered me a MBRP full bore pipe. I took them up on the offer and Don (again came to the rescue) swapped out pipes. I started her up to race some more only to find out that my water pump was smashed. Cr@ycr@ft to the Rescue Again (never in my life would I have thought that the ATPT boys would go out of their way to keep ME running)---they were also willing to get me a water pump off RaptorRiderTX (Justin's) wrecked bike, however it was at Ronnie's(Dollarbillz) house which is 1/2 hour away, and by the time they returned it was too late to do anything!

Donzilla could not safely make it down the track due to the fact that he was running struts from front to back this making it too dangerous to ride without losing control of the bike. However, I could not have made it through the day (after the wreck) without Don's help.

Over all, even with the wreck, I had a great time, I wish I could have went back Sunday. This was the funnest drag racing event I have ever attended, and that's goes a long ways in light of the fact that I didn't even get to drag race. This will be an annual event for me. ( Hopefully next year I will bring even more C0mp0und Members!) I've never seen so many fast 4-strokes at one gathering in my life!! My hats off to the big bombardiers and the Cr@ycr@ft Raptors!! ALL those bikes STOMP, and there ain't no two ways about it.

To all the people I finally got to meet face to face (DuneDevil, DS650Racer, RaptorRiderTX, RaptorRCR, Boxman, Quadman650, TheBox, REX, Adam, 660T, BiggerisBetter, SamcoDS, Ward660, Buttfungus, RaptorBoy673, Bob and Chris Cr@ycr@ft, Dollarbillz, DSMike, and all the others I have not named) thanks for making this trip worthwhile!

Finally, to Mr. and Mrs. Mins thanks for letting everyone come down, tear the place up, eat all your food, use up all your fireworks, and sleep in your yard. YOU ARE EXCELLENT HOSTS!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, the DS boys did eat all the hog, and left none for us Raptor Rider's.LOL

In case your are wondering YES I wrecked my bike on purpose so I wouldn't have to race 14mins!!!!!!!!J/K LOL

Thanks Again,

Jay

Old 06-30-2003, 02:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Jay it was good meeting you and your wife, and also Don.

Your quad looked really qiuck,and it was to bad to see you take a spill like that. I am convinced it was your NARROW axle that caught a rutt and twisted your launch! sorry Dude.

Glad to see you boys made it home safe & sound!

Bigger.

Old 06-30-2003, 03:32 AM
RIP Dear Friend

velocityraptor,

That was a good write up on what occured.

Chet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-30-2003, 04:17 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Sorry to hear about the wreck. Glad to hear 'you' didnt need to get re-piped. That might have made for a long ride home.

Good write up.

Old 06-30-2003, 08:37 AM
Pro Rider

NOW THATS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!!! Excellent review there Jay. I was looking forward to hearing how Tuned VS 14mins part 2 was going to come out. I knew that you were going to be met with good ol hospitality there. If these guys are like Boxman then all would be good. Sorry to hear about your wreck after that long of a haul but one thing about it now the COmpouNd will be able to have something to guage their event on to help make it a great one too.

See there now if everyone would take 14 minutes LMAO and type up a good story like that then that would be really cool reading!!!

Old 06-30-2003, 08:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Good too hear no major injuries occurred. Sounds like a great time....thats what it's about.

Old 06-30-2003, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

JAY it was a real pleasure meeting you and the wife and donzilla i hope we can all meet up again at another place all you guys ( and gals ) are ok in my book thanks for comeing.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-30-2003, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

It was good to finally meet you also Jay. I am glad you and your wife had a good time at the event and that you were not injured to bad.
It was also good meeting Donzilla, very nice quad. Lots of show and go!!

Old 06-30-2003, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

Jay,Glad to meet you and your wife. Thanks for making the long haul!

Old 06-30-2003, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

I would reccomend this event to anyone.cool; I should have "TUNED" up and running again by the end of July. I plan on attending Sandfest in Little S. &, DS Days this year yet and hope to see some of you all again. Thanks a lot

Jay :

Quick Reply: The Aledo Trip, "By Velocityraptor"