Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

warrior tire sizes

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 03:34 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warrior tire sizes

Hello,
I recently (less than 2 months ago) bought a 96 warrior that had been completely rebuilt with 12:1 compression piston, bored .030 over, new valves, etc. So far I have thouroughly enjoyed the bike. I did have a couple of questions that I was hoping some of you more experienced riders could help me with.

1. What is the largest tire sizes you can put on the bike. I have seen this question asked before but have not been able to find an answer. I do quite a bit of mud riding and the taller tire seems like it would have its advantage.

2. How much valve noise is normal from the engine. There as a pretty distinguishable cllik coming from the valves. It sometimes seems to get louder at higher rpms?

3. How much would you expect to pay for a used straight frame as mine has a slight crush/bend right before one of the lower a-arms.

Thanks in advance for any help

ypman

Old 06-30-2003, 03:55 AM
Pro Rider

Tires I dunno, as for valve noise I do. If you installed a taller cam you have to set the valves a bit looser and they get noisier. If you didnt get a bigger cam then it should be fairly quiet. Also note, warriors have a ticking sound that isint the valves and is very disturbing. Makes it kinda hard to tell whats going on in the engine unless youve had it for a while and know all the different noises she makes and know the one she isint suposed to make.

Old 06-30-2003, 01:23 PM
Trailblazer

I've got an 03 Wolv that makes that same ticking noise. It get louder under throttle also.

Old 06-30-2003, 01:49 PM
Trailblazer

Hey man i can help you with the tires my bro has a warrior go with 22x11x9 and get something like a shredder tire they bite really nice! i like them better than the razer tire i have on my raptor!

Old 06-30-2003, 02:25 PM
Trailblazer

I recently purchased an 03 warrior and it developed a very noticable ticking during the initial break-in and got louder as the engine got hotter. I took the bike in to the dealer and they said the ticking was from the cam chain and was normal. I just had the initial service done and they reset the cam chain tensioner. I haven't ridden it yet so I don't know if the noise is gone.

Stock tires are 22x10x9

Old 06-30-2003, 02:55 PM
Trailblazer

I also have a 96' Warrior the ticking noise has been there since I have owned it and it runs great so I don't know about that. As for tire get the Maxxis Sur Trak, I have a set of 22x11x9 and they are the best tire in the mud. Hope this helps.

Old 06-30-2003, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

I have the ticking also. Bike runs great, and no smoke. Ride it till she blows[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-30-2003, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

i had tickin noise in both warriors. as for tirse go with shreders just as good as razrs and holeshots but cheaper.. or go with a set of all tracks.. as for tires size u can go upto a 25'' tire. i believe on a warrior i am looking into buyingsome 23 or 24'' mudlites or spider tracs.. or possibly dirt devils or mud sharks all good mud/snow tire.. but if u ride just snow go with realtors.. and as for frame im not sure.. never had to buy one..

Old 06-30-2003, 11:36 PM
Trailblazer

2000IAWarrior,

I would rule the Dirt Devils out of your list of possible tires. I've had them on my Timberwolf, which has less power but, after they were put on handling went to crap and the front end wouldn't come up for anything. Worst of all, the perfect donuts I was able to do before were no longer achieveable, the thing would tip in a heartbeat without any warning and powersliding was out of the question. I wouldn't recomend these tires unless you have a huge 4x4 that is only going to go straight through mud.

Old 06-30-2003, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

I had 22" dirt devils and they didnt impress me in the mud.

Quick Reply: warrior tire sizes