Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Moving the carbs on a raptor !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving the carbs on a raptor !!!!!

I heard on here before about someone moving their carbs back some. what are the effects of this ? Loss of lowend? or throttle response? Maybe I don't know. The reason I ask is I'm playing with some Ideas on some new carbs for the Rappy and the intake manifold I'll build may move them back as muck as 1.5- 2.0 inches. Any one with this exsperiance please feel free to comment.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-10-2003, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

Don't just stroke us....what kind of carbs? Hmmm...The doctor says a few more horsepower and my arms will tear completely from the shoulder socket[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
I'd heard it smooths the turbulant air alowing it to run cleaner/crisper

Old 07-10-2003, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

Raptorjay do ya know off hand what the centerline measurement of the stock carbs is? (Distance between). I'm going for a couple of larger Mikunis....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I heard this produces a pouple horses.....but do not know for sure. Should'nt be hard too fab up some 2" spacers in between the head and intake boot. Anyone actually done this?

Old 07-10-2003, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

My Idea is to Incorporate these spacers into carb adaptors and run larger carbs off a street bike. Whatcha think?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-10-2003, 03:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If you have them laying around and they will physically fit...I would give it a shot. Too much carb for what your engine neens will hurt performance.....you never know until you try though. Are these vacuum operated or mechanical? Vacuum operated will be more forgiving but probably less powerful.

Old 07-10-2003, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

They engine builder that ported by head is a street bike guro (Pro Stock Drag bikes ECT...) He is wanting me to find some 36mm or 38mm Flat slides. He had a bunch of old carbs and threw them away before I came along.(Bad news for me) I'm going to measure the spread on the stockers to night and spend some time on Friday at the Bike wrecking yard. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-10-2003, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

I'll try to remember to measure tonight...as my bike is apart for welding

Old 07-10-2003, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

Lowbotie,are you looking for a 38mm carb? I have a 38mm TMX that is about 4 months old.lemme know if your interested.

Old 07-10-2003, 04:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Low, therretically you will benefit al the way around. It gives you a larger intake volume, good for low end, and should give you more intake velocity, which will boost top end.

Another measurement to lookout for is the width of the carb bodies. Some carbs will not fit in the manifolds side by side because the carbs are too wide.

Good luck on your quest! I'll be following your findings if you post them!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Moving the carbs on a raptor !!!!!