Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

oil starvation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil starvation?

just wondering if any one knows of a common cause of oil starvation to the head of a warrior 350. I believe this is what caused me to toast a basically brand new head. (caused the rocker to fuse to the shaft and kill the cam)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 07-27-2003, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer
Default oil starvation?

Well I didn't change the oil filter in my old 87 Big Bear (same top end as warrior) and the filter clogged and the head starved for oil for 6 Months and the cam was wore down 1/4 of an inch but the engine still ran and started great ! I would check to make sure none of the oil ports were clogged and check the oil pump.

Old 07-27-2003, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer
Default oil starvation?

Yeah my cam was wore down about the same. I guess it would have kept running had not the rocker fused to the shaft causing the intake valve to remain open and thus blowing a hole in the side of the boot on combustion.
What oil ports were you refering to? and How do you check the oil pump?
thanks

Old 07-27-2003, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default oil starvation?

Same exact thing happened to me, 400 bucks later I just got it all back together. My oil pump looked like heck (the insided all broken up) and the sprocket was spinning freely on the lil drive shaft. How long did your last? mine lasted like 5 hours before the rockers fused to their shafts.

Old 07-28-2003, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default oil starvation?

I had oiling probs in my Warrior. As far as I know, there is only one small oil galley (running up through a head bolt cavity and into the cam). It's a pretty tiny hole - I think mine got clogged up when I did some head work and didnt properly clean out the head. If the oil pump is worn or old it might also be a contributing factor.

There is a small bleed screw in the head which is used to ensure that oil is flowing to the head. Crack it open and run the engine - oil should come out.

Old 07-28-2003, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default oil starvation?

oil goes up to the head through around one of the head bolts, the one that has a rubber deal around the base of it.

Old 07-28-2003, 05:52 AM
Trailblazer
Default oil starvation?

Yeah had the exact same thing happen to my big bear rockers seized up, I stripped the head down oiled them up and managed to get them working again, and yeah like someone else said the oil pump was broken so yeah that was the cause, Replaced that and she was away.

Old 07-28-2003, 10:32 AM
Trailblazer
Default oil starvation?

As FISHER1648 said pull the check bolt and start the engine you should see oil after about 5 minutes
(thats how long my Big Bear manual says). This procedure will only tell you if you are getting oil to the head if you are not getting oil at the check bolt there could be a blockage or the pump could be gone.
If you are getting no oil pull the head and cylinder off and check the oil passages going up through. If you can't see any blockages pull the right side cover (you need a manual for this to get the specs)
and pull the oil pump out and see if its in spec. Its only supposed to have a certain amount of clearance.
If I were to make a bet I would say its your oil pump !
I hope I was of some help to ya man !

Old 07-29-2003, 02:11 AM
Trailblazer
Default oil starvation?

Originally posted by: JakalWarrior
Same exact thing happened to me, 400 bucks later I just got it all back together. My oil pump looked like heck (the insided all broken up) and the sprocket was spinning freely on the lil drive shaft. How long did your last? mine lasted like 5 hours before the rockers fused to their shafts.

Mine lasted almost exacltly 5 hours also. I have not gotten into the oil pump to see how it looks but that would be another $70.
Out of curiosity, what cam did you go with or did you have to replace your cam?
Thanks

Old 07-29-2003, 02:16 AM
Trailblazer
Default oil starvation?

Originally posted by: MuddyNewf
As FISHER1648 said pull the check bolt and start the engine you should see oil after about 5 minutes
(thats how long my Big Bear manual says).

Which bolt is the check bolt? There are four long head bolts if my memory serves me correctly.
Also how hard is it to change an oil pump?
thanks for the help

Quick Reply: oil starvation?