Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 11:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine won't start

Has anybody had problems with there Yamaha no starting. It will pull start course I broke the rope, but the starter is not workin. Anyone have any suggestions like is there a starter fuse or anything.

Old 07-28-2003, 12:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea I got a 98 wolverine and one of the wires for the tail light was rubbing on something until the rubber wore off and it shorted out on the frame. It killed the battery and after we charged it back up it wouldnt start. I checked the relay box above the left rear tire and it was working fine so i knew it was the starter. I had the starter rebuilt for about 30$ and it solved the problem. Also before I knew what was wrong with it if i put it in like 4 gear and rocked it back and forth it would start. Why it did that i dont know.

Old 07-29-2003, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yours is brand new,time to go back to the dealer,it should still be under warranty. If you dig around too much,they might say you did it by messing with it !!! If that is not an option, almost sounds like the neutral start switch is not being made, it is made to start in neutral, or in gear if the front brake is pulled in,there is a little switch up by the brake lever,you can hear it click when you move the lever. Maybe check to see if everything is connected, that will prevent starting. When you try to start it, is the green neutral light on? try to make sure that it is, and see if that helps, also try pulling the front brake lever in as well while starting. There is a fuse under the seat, I think it is near the battery,or under the left rear fender where the positive wires connect.
But with a quad that new, I would first head back to the dealer and let them sort it out.

Old 07-29-2003, 01:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for ya'lls replies. I don't get very many on hear. Anyways it turned out bein the run start switch got some crud in it. Course I still need to take it to the shop cause I broke the pull start rope. Guess I pulled it to hard.

Old 07-29-2003, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you got that straightened out, I wish mine had a backup pull start, they didn't put them on the Wolverines until about 98 or so, there were a couple of times in the past I could of used a pull start !! Good luck, and happy riding.

Old 07-29-2003, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have the pull start on mine either, but the PO had fabbed up a set of mini jumper cables, which I carry in a small bag under the seat. Just in case. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]