Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine owners/riders: Tell me what you think of them

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 11:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine owners/riders: Tell me what you think of them

I'm in the market to buy my first 4 wheeler, and I thought I had a couple of "must have" features for the one I want. One of them was an automatic tranny, and the other was full floor boards. I want the auto just for it's convenience. I know how to drive a manual bike. The floor boards, however, are desired for a.) the protection from sticks and other debris coming up through there and b.) it's more comfortable to ride with them, especially when my girlfriend is on the back. Just more room to put your feet. Now, I posted a message in the "buying an atv" forum and it was mentioned that although the Wolverine doesn't have an automatic tranny, just auto clutch, and it doesn't have the floorboards, it's still an awesome machine. Up until I had read this, I never really gave the Wolverine a second thought cause it didn't have those two features. But the more I research, the more I find out that it may be the best mix between sport and utility.

Now, basically what I'm looking for are the thoughts and opinions on anyone that owns, have owned, or often rides one of these bikes. I'm not really looking for "well, this bike is nice, but I like this one better". I just want to find out as much as possible about the Wolverine.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 08-19-2003, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned my Wolverine since they came out in 95, so I feel I can give a long term account on the good and bad points. Good: probably the lightest 4x4 you can get, handles very well, even with full time 4wd, sliding corners is still possible. Very good stock suspension, good travel (7.1inches) Fairly fast for a 350, 55mph or a little better. Great gas mileage, I can run most of the day on the 3.4 gallon tank (try that with a 600 - 700 cc motor ) Easy to mod, Warrior exhaust and motor parts will bolt right on,even uses the same air box. With the new Warn 424 Select, you can now have 2 - 4 wd switching,and make it handle even better. Can be jumped pretty well, so sporty trail rides are fun. Bad points: geared pretty high for a 4x4, without engine mods, big or aggressive mud tires will bog you down in deep stuff. Not as much power or torque as the new, big quads out there,but then how many 348 cc motors can compare with a 660 or 700 ?? the 23 " tires that come stock limit you to the sizes you can replace them with and keep factory gear ratios, but with engine mods, you can run 25" tires no problem.
I ran mine ragged on trails, dunes ( Silver Lake and Little Sahara), pulled logs, dragged deer, ice fished, mudded a little, and over the years, have enjoyed my quad, and when the motor got a little tired, a quick rebore, cam and now it is giving me several more years of reliable service, and the othe mods I've added, shocks, skids, tires and rims, just make it more and more of a great all around quad. Yes,there are other quads that match or surpass it in some areas, but a light,quick, great handling 350 4x4 will always have a market for people looking for that good all purpose quad. One last note: I just installed the Warn 424 on my Wolverine, and being able to run just the back tires makes my quad even more trail fun, donuts and powerslides are a snap now, like having 2 quads in one now !!

Old 09-10-2003, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

i have a wolvy there verry nice they kind of have floor boards and if you want mor epertection nothing you cant do with some nerf bars, For the full time 4x4 the warn 424 kit or the high lifter unlocker kit would make it quite well too but if you wanty more power and full floor boards look into the polaris's

Old 09-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

What about a V force, you didnt say it had to have 4x4. V force is autoatic too and alot faster.

Old 09-10-2003, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

John ... you already know what I think of my Wolverine - no doubt that I love it, and I haven't had a problem with it in about 4 years. For an all around, if-I-could-only-have-one-bike-to-do-it-all , they just can't be beat. No matter what I've seen out there so far, if I could only have one quad I'll bet I'd buy another Wolv. They are FUN! to ride. You won't get that same level of enjoyment out of a tank quad, that sporty feeling, that adrenaline pump that says you can keep up with anything on the trails no matter what the conditions. My advice - if you get one, go Warn 424 right from the get-go with the money you saved from not buying something bigger. No matter what, I can't see you being disappointed in it for trail riding and light/medium duty utility work. That offer to test-ride mine is still on the table should you wish to, although I don't have the Warn 424 yet. You'd still love it and then yours even more so when you got the 424.

Old 09-11-2003, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Great all around machine, personally I dont have racks on mine and use it for racing, but its a great machine and one thing I like about it is when winter rolls around and the 2wd sport bikes i ride around and race with get hung up in the snow and I have no trouble. I also dont have to make paths around the swamps, I just go through them. If it has some short-comings in stock form there is plenty of aftermarket out there and you can do anything to it you can think of to make it what you want. It is also the lightest 4x4 you can buy.

Old 09-11-2003, 10:00 PM
Range Rover

SpDdEmOn, come race me this sat. www.koontzadventures.com. its a blast!!

Old 09-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

Hey man your not far away from where I live. Do you know where Flemington is? I wont be able to this sat. Im still working on my bike and I have to be at work. Oh man Parsons is a long drive. Is it drag racing or harescrambles?

Old 09-11-2003, 10:15 PM
Range Rover

harescramble, only 3 left this year. sorry 'bout work!

Old 09-11-2003, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

Ah...hmmmm maybe we can get together sometime and ride since you live close to me. I need to get my bike together too.

Quick Reply: Wolverine owners/riders: Tell me what you think of them