Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Are Warrior's Junk!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 12:45 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Warrior's Junk!?!?!?!?

I've been reading some of treads about how good or bad some quads are and sometimes the warrior will be brought up and people will always be saying how crappy it is. I don't think that it is a bad quad, its reliable, strong, and with a pipe, air filter, jets and new tires I don't think that it is all that bad. I just wanted to know if the warrior is really as bad as some people are making it out to be and if so state why you think that it is bad.

Old 08-21-2003, 12:51 AM
p3o
Range Rover

I myself dont really like them but they are one of the best selling quads ever. so they arent junk if they sell that many.

Old 08-21-2003, 01:01 AM
Range Rover

I am partial to Warriors but they are heavy but extremely stable. I haven't ridden a quad yet that was as stable as a Warrior. That is the very reason that my wife and daughter like it. They can be punched up and without breaking the bank. They are really a great quad and the bestselling quad of all time, but they are not King of the Hill. If you want a good reliable/stable quad, that is the one for you. If you want something lightweight and on the cutting edge, go w/ a z400 or similar.

Old 08-21-2003, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

there o.k i rode one i didn't like it wasn't enoguh speed for me sorry to say that though i don't mean to mean it just my opinon there not junk though there just o.k

Old 08-21-2003, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

My girfriend has one and she puts 5-6' of air under it every time we go to the dunes. It has been a great bike, she wants that new 450 now though..

Old 08-21-2003, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

You buy what class of quad you want, people make fun of them because they arent fast. Did they ever consider its not meant to be the fastest? then what would the raptor banshee and yfz be for?

Old 08-21-2003, 04:16 AM
Pro Rider

the things wont die! I know of a warrior beaten mercilessly for many years and it still runs!
I dont like riding it, but then it gets washed once a year whether it needs it or not....it's not mine
they arent the fastest, but dependability is unrivaled! Honda take note!
Seems every time i go riding, i see at least one warrior and one blaster. thats says a lot!

Some folks say Honda is the reliability king, but its just possible Yamaha could be in the running as well.

Old 08-21-2003, 08:27 AM
Trailblazer

i am the original owner my 95 warrior. strong, dependable, quad.
last year, i finally had to replace the clutch. keep in mind this was the first thing i "HAD" to replace.
everything else was for my own satisfaction[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

keep it well maintained, and the thing should last a lifetime.
also, i mainly trial ride with it, when hitting open trails, gps tracked me at 62 mph. fast enough for me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

i belive quads are like anything else, no matter what you buy in your life, you here of something going bad with them. everything made has a few bad apples in them, look at us as humans....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

hope this helps, tim

Old 08-21-2003, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

i have nothing but good things to say about warriors yesterday i went through a running river it was atleasst a foot and a half deap and then a pond that my dad on his big magnum 500 almost got stuck he has 4 wheel drive to and i just went though like nothing was there but i do have to say when u get in deep mud ur screwed cuz mud is sticky and the best 4X4 have problems getting thro mud. For the weight and only being a 4-stroke it is fast and a great beginners quad. and when im in the sand pit i have gone up every hill my buddy has on his ATC 250R. And TB400 why dont u just leave the forum u POS [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

D [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-21-2003, 11:53 AM
Range Rover

I have a strong aversion to the Warrior... My first quad was a Warrior and I only enjoyed it about 3 months before I felt outdated and outmatched. I had friends on all the newer, better designed quads and I just felt inadequate on the Warrior. It was a handful with the kind of riding we did.... motocross style riding in a dried out bed of the south canadian river. Lots of nice jumps and high speed areas with tricky braking and swerving to get through/around the spots that aren't dried up. The Warrior was flat out DANGEROUS in this environment when pushing it to its limits. The Warrior does not respond well under pressure... it is poorly balanced, plows through turns and doesn't have much snap.

I understand that it is not suited for the type of riding I do and it is very adequate in trails... I have ridden it in trails before and the only complaints I had was its poor handling qualities. It costs a fortune to try to remedy the warrior's inadequacies and you can never truly solve them.... its just an outdated bad design (people will say it was good for the pre-400 EX days... but if its a bad design now, it was a bad design then... we just didn't know any better). I WB piped, jetted, K&N filtered, Maxxis tired and denton steering damped my warrior [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] while this improved it, I was even disappointed after the upgrades.

My wife also has a warrior and she enjoyed it with no complaints, she didn't ride to the extreme I did and she didn't have much experience on other quads. I now have a YFZ 450... I let my wife ride it and she was shocked... She was amazed at how easy the YFZ was to ride (she is still pretty much an amateur rider), I think it finally dawned on her how poor the Warrior really is. The YFZ 450 which is the ultimate in high performance technology right now is a much easier and forgiving ride than a Warrior. In fact I think a beginner would be better off on the YFZ than a Warrior (yes I know its ludicrous to compare a Warrior to a YFZ in general but that is my experience... I went from a Warrior to a YFZ, so thats what I am relating.)

The YFZ almost doesn't let you make mistakes... it does a wonderful job of making up for every bonehead thing you try to do... the Warrior just kicks you in the *** and throws you off.

After my experiences on 2 vastly different quads its my opinion that entry level sport quads (like the Warrior) are the most dangerous quads on the market. They lack the safety, suspension and stability of a utility quad... they lack the high performance suspension and sophisticated handling characteristics of a high end sport quad. So what you have is a quad that is designed for doing "sport" type riding and not very capable of doing it well.

I understand I am very opinionated on the matter and people have different views on the Warrior... but if you ever want to have any kind of intense, pushing the limits riding... the Warrior is not a good choice... people will do it and people will have a little fun... but there are numerous other quads that are similiar in style but far better in performance. I could never recommend a Warrior to any of my friends.

Quick Reply: Are Warrior's Junk!?!?!?!?