Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

dunes can be dangerous!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dunes can be dangerous!!!!!!

i am posting this on the yamaha forum because it seems to be the most heavily read and i would like to keep what happened to my wife today from happening to someone else or at least try.so we had just come from doing some drag racing at our local comp hill and when we left i didnt realize that the wife was so far behind and while trying to catch up she went off a very steep and high razorback and got very bruised up .what i would like to share is that if you are not sure of what is ahead of you (SLOW DOWN AND EVALUATE) the situation before you proceed.my wife didnt see the drop off in time and flew 8 or 10 feet out and probably 20 or thirty feet down and her quad landed on her a couple of times and she got beat up pretty bad.it is not a good feeling to look back and see your wife doing a cartwheel in the air and bouncing off the sand over and over so be careful.when i saw that my wife did not get up right away i was very concerned but fortunately after she was able to breathe properly again which took about ten minutes we were able to ride back to the truck very slowly.i hope that these kind of posts get read and taken for what they are(EXPERIENCED ADVICE) and just maybe some of you can save yourself some pain.the one thing that i was very pleased to see was that there were probably 10 or 12 other atv riders there within 30 seconds to see if we needed help and it is good to see that people care.the wife was very lucky to walk away from this one without any broken bones.RIDE SAFE

Old 09-01-2003, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

Is that why she was so far behind you coming up to the parking lot hill? It looked like she was takin it easy and going slow for some reason ... hope shes alright

Old 09-01-2003, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

yes wildchild she is very sore and bruised up but she will be just fine with some time.those things can happen so quick that you have no time to react so i thought that i would try to raise some awareness and maybe save someone some grief.we will be buying the wife some more protective gear in the near future just in case she decides to try and fly without wings again.

Old 09-01-2003, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

Yep I feel her pain Ive been there and done that. Tore some muscle and ligaments(almost broke) in my neck at winchester doing the same. Get well soon and be careful. Thanks again for lettin my ride you raptor, your goin to cost me some money ! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Later

Old 09-01-2003, 04:11 AM
Pro Rider

Was anybody with her when it happen. If not shame on you. either you should be the sweeper or someone of your friends to make sure to keep the peoples in line that way nobody don't get behind or semi lost.
We alway have that in our group ride. If my girl friend riding in our group I alway to keep eye on her to make sure she in sight.

Since she only got bruised up instead broken bones or being kill in that accident. Hopefully it won't happen again.....

Old 09-01-2003, 06:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider

sorry to hear that mike i hope eveything is ok, tell cathy were glad to hear she is ok. and your advice is good, i left those dunes with a shaddered wrist in 92, kind of the same thing. i think that is why i ride the dunes slower these days.

Old 09-01-2003, 09:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

Sorry to hear about her crash, never been that far south, but have heard alot about those razorbacks. I take it very easy in the dunes until I know why lies ahead, but then things can change so fast, you gotta be careful, hope she heals fast.

Old 09-01-2003, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

At least 5 people get killed on the sand dunes of South West Africa per year. You never really know whats on the other side!

Hope your wife recovers quick.....if she gets back on, shes one tuff cookie!

Old 09-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

DESRASCERS-of course i was with her but i was ahead and she did not see the razorback that was coming up.and desracers(SHAME ON YOU )for assuming that i would ever let my wife ride alone.i should have known that someone would assume that they have it all figured out without knowing me or my wife or how safe we ride i guess i should have expected that. and yes she did get back on and ride the few miles back to the truck without one complaint and she cant wait to go again,of course no stunts next time.

Old 09-01-2003, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

duneittilludie

I am not trying to bash you. The way you mention that she was "SO FAR BEHIND" which mean to me is you were not with in sight of her. That the way you wrote it. IMO if she was in sight of you that she would see what the terrians or razorbacks that your group run into. right? I would think so.
At least she escape minor injuries. Could have been worse.

Yes I know Florence are known for tricky hidden razorback then compare to Spinreel-Horsefall riding area.

Quick Reply: dunes can be dangerous!!!!!!