Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Fastest lowest maint cheapest bike around.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 11:54 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fastest lowest maint cheapest bike around.

If you can't beat a ported and polished stock bore banshee you need to call Sparks racing. I completely destroy stock bore ported/polished, piped banshees. I beat a guy on a Toomey piped banshee( plus other stuff) so bad that he wanted to try rolling starts. He run a 5.1 in the 300' dirt drags, but got smoked seriously by my 690. I even beat down the piped 250 dirtbikes. We raced about 450-500 feet. The only banshee I ever lost to was a drag-only banshee that run 105mph in the 1/4 mile on asphalt. Keep in mind I have a trail quad and not a drag-only quad. Sparks is producing some killer quads to say the least. Tell Scott(Sparks) you would a trail quad like Craig from Alabama[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-02-2003, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

go with a banshee, but keep it simple. keep the stock carbs. get some good pipes. and v-force reeds. if you wanna go crazy, then get it ported, but reeds, pipes, and ditching the factory TORS stuff will make it a reliable runner. i will have to get back with you on whether or not the porting hurts reliability.

Old 09-02-2003, 12:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fast low maint and cheap are not three things that go together.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] But a banshee would probably be the closest you could come to it.

Old 09-02-2003, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider

you could do what i am at least considering doing and that is to put a high horsepower street bike motor in a quad frame.if you want to beat the fastest banshees you will have to either put the street bike motor in or build a banshee to compete with the banshees.as six six t said fast low maintenance and cheap are very hard if not impossible to achieve as one.you could build your raptor to be very fast and you could come close to the fastest banshees but you would not have a reliable quad and the cost would be very high.i am trying to decide myself how far i want to build the raptor motor because as it stands right now i can compete with most anything that is a four stroke and make a good showing so just a little more horsepower and it would be even closer.the last few quads lengths in performance are the most expensive to come up with thats for sure.as long as you are not 260 lbs like i am you could build a very reliable raptor that would come very close to most anything that you come up against but once again to beat a very fast banshee you have to have a very fast banshee.if you payed attention to all the details along the way while you built a raptor with all the goodies you could do very well.if you wanted to build a raptor to run a specific hill and do well on just that hill there is a lot you can do to make it perform better than most but you will lose the ability to do as well in other areas.i would decide where you will race the most and make a decision based on what you want to spend and where you will be racing the most and go from there.i have put a lot of effort into the details such as gearing-tire selection-jetting and fuel and it has made my raptor do very well with far less modding than most so it does help to pay attention to the small stuff,just something to keep in mind in case you decide to build your raptor.