Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

one way #3

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 04:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one way #3

It has been doing this for a little while. I have had the cam out since it has been doing it, so I know its not the pin.

I am going to get a LA bearing as soon as I can.

Bartlett, the timing chain has 2 rides on it. I have my head shaved, because of a water spot on it, but my cam timing is dead on. Could the shaved head be something to do with it even though its timed right???

Old 09-07-2003, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider
Default one way #3

You may want to degree in the cam by slotting the cam gear after you shave the head. If it was just a resurface it will probably be ok though.

My raptor was doing similar things when the one-way was going bad. I hit the starter button and it would turn over until the comp stroke and die. I let off and hit it again and it would start, but slowly. It only ever freewheeled twice, but it did make awful noises once in a while. I cant explain why a bad one way would cause the motor to not spin at all it just doesnt make sense but your sounds like its doing what mine did before the L&A

Old 09-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default one way #3

You may want to degree in the cam by slotting the cam gear after you shave the head. If it was just a resurface it will probably be ok though.
Why do I need to degree it if my timing is right? It had 0.010" taken off. I can't see it being that bad because when I put the cam in I degreed it and it wasn't off by enough to feel I need to slot the gear. That was with a badly stretched chain and like I said earlier this one has about 2 rides on it.

Old 09-07-2003, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default one way #3

if its right then you didnt take enough off to worry about it.

Old 09-07-2003, 05:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default one way #3

I had ten thousandths of an inch taken off.

Old 09-18-2003, 03:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default one way #3

I finaly got around to pulling my one way off. Before I did this I also pulled my starter apart to check it. I had two people tell me it might possibly be the starter so I took it apart and cleaned everything real well and just tried to look for something in it that might be wrong. I couldn't find anything wrong with the starter so off with the fly wheel. BTW the brushes in the starter are a serious PIA to get back in.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Anyway it was/is the one way. The one I was running was a rebuilt one with the o-ring around the sprags. What happened is the o-ring was alllllll tore up, I couldn't find alot of it.

I cant explain why a bad one way would cause the motor to not spin at all it just doesnt make sense
I couldn't either, untill now. What I think is happening is when the its turning one or more of the sprags are turning backwards....thinking...... If that was what was happening inside would it even cause this???? Its to late in the day to be thinking about it. I think that is right though, maybe.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Anyway thanks for everybody's help and advice.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-18-2003, 03:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default one way #3

Buy the LA and be done with it. I have one, the single BEST mod to date!

Old 09-18-2003, 03:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default one way #3

I will as soon as I can keep my wonderfull[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] wife out of the mall long enough to save some money.