Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Where To Get Axle Nuts???

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 01:18 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where To Get Axle Nuts???

I had the hardest time taking my axle out.The two allenhead lock nuts would'nt come off.I broke to allen wrenches and twisted one.Usually the screw will strip before the allenhead,not these.I had to take the axle nut off without these things even broke loose.Talk about hell.
Now i'm going to need new axle nuts.Where can I get these at?I also read that I am going to need torque wrenches.Is their a place I can get both of these?If not where can I buy them seperate?.I live down south in Alabama and I need these ASAP.So I need some place thats good about shipping.I got this thing tore down ready to be put back together.
Oh,one more thing.I found this little thing that has me stumped.It's metal and it's about the size of a quarter and I could have swore I seen it fall.It has a peice of cloth or something in it.Does this sound like anything familiar or was it already on the ground and I just thought I seen it fall?
Thanks guys,
James

Old 09-16-2003, 09:18 AM
Trailblazer

Anybody???

Old 09-16-2003, 01:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I had the same issue, but when I took the nuts off the allens stripped my axle, so this is what I had to do, I orderd two of the large nuts with the allens in them from yamaha and when I got them I took a hack saw and cut 4 grooves in them across from each other and used it as a re threader. I had to use both because that axle is harder steel than the nuts. So when I got all the threads cleaned up then I purchased an aftermarket billet aluminum one off ebay for 45.00 and it is the only one you need unlike the oem which you have to have both nuts installed.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-16-2003, 01:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you dont use the oem bolts you dont have to torque the aftermarket one. But, if you do use the aftermarket ones I have a crows foot wrench I could sell you that attaches on a 1/2 inch torque wrench. I purchased it but after I got the aftermarket one I didnt need it.

Old 09-16-2003, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

i have no idea what you guys are talking about when you mention allen bolts...this must be a change they made in 02 and on. RockymountainATV sells the wrenches for the stock axle bolts that have a mounting point for a 1/2" drive tourque rachet to attach. i bought my tourque rachet at Pep boys years ago. i never buy tools from autoparts stores but this one looked nice...it works great and many a mechanic friend have commented on it positively.

if you call them today...theres no reason why you can't be up and riding this weekend. good luck.

Old 09-16-2003, 02:25 PM
Trailblazer

Where can I buy a aftermarket nut from.I called the dealer today and they said they could order one but it may not be here until Fri. or Mon.I can handle getting it Fri. but Mon. is too long if I can help it.If I oreder the stock one then I will also have to buy the wrenches.I'd probably be better off with an aftermarket one.
I checked RockyMountainAtv but could'nt find the nut.Could someone maybe give me a link or something.
Thanks,
James

Old 09-16-2003, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

try Lonestar (lsracing.com)...not sure if this will fit the stock axle...but it's a start.

Old 09-16-2003, 04:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

This is what I got. LINK

Old 09-16-2003, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer

Thats pretty nice.So does it work good?Did they ship it to you fairly quick or did you have to wait.
Anybody else know of others places I might find one?
I may not have specified earlier but i'm going back with a Lonestar axle so it's not the stock axle.
Keep'em comin fellas,
James

Old 09-16-2003, 06:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I used the buy it now and got it in 3 days. works great and was very easy to install. If you get one you can PM me and I can give you some info.

Quick Reply: Where To Get Axle Nuts???