Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How reilable is a warrior

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 02:46 PM
KGB
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How reilable is a warrior

Rock Solid. the only complaint I have is the pesky problem of the tranny wanting to pop out of gear into "false neutral". Only happend ot us on steep sand hills witha big load on the motor. Other than that, SOLID.

Old 09-19-2003, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kuz28
it's great to see the warrior getting the respect it deserves. especially with all the new machines out. you'd expect people to take this opportunity to bash "Ole Reliable". DueceRoosters comment about seeing the warrior without plastic really hits home. in the woods of NH and ME, if their not riding 4x4's or 3 wheelers.....their on a warrior. strangley enough...without plastic. lol

if i had an opportunity to ride deep into the woods of canada or alaska....i would be more likely to take my warrior over my Raptor.
Well said.

I have had a few small issues with the warrior but overall its one of the best 2x4 quads for the trails. Its just not a race machine and if you accept that and just mod it up to a reasonable point and ride it for what its worth you will be fine.

Old 09-19-2003, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

their tanks........................... enough said

Old 09-19-2003, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

My 87 is still running. Though I don't ride it much annymore, but when my other bikes are down or someone needs a bike( like my buddy a few weeks ago when we went to schilo ride) the beast allways starts. Like posted before, if you can accept it not being a race machine you will be happy with it............. just my cent and a half

Old 09-20-2003, 02:29 AM
Pro Rider

Mine only let me sitting once, loose connection at CDI. My buddy swamped his and it sucked about a quart of water down the crank case breather. He drove it 45 min to my house like that and it is still running fine, after a oil change of course

Old 09-20-2003, 03:53 AM
Pro Rider

You can't kill a Warrior or a Wolverine. Something about them is amazing. Another very reliable machine is the ole red Honda 250x 3 wheeler deal. My buddy has one that he can't get to quit. Starts first kick every single freakin time. It sits outside in the rain and snow and only has gotten started recently about once every 3-4 months. Incredible. It is duck taped and missing one rear fender and I bent his rear rack while riding double on it long ago with a seat strapped on. For a long time he was shifting it with a pair of Vice Grips but I think he finally broke down and put a lever back on it, probably from something totally random that just happened to fit. Actually, it probably didn't fit. He probably pounded it on with a sledge. No matter what, you can't hurt that thing. A Warrior is about the same way. Ride the **** out of them over and over, change the oil only when it goes on a yearly sale for 79 cents a quart at the local auto parts store, and run the cheapest gas money can buy. They excel under conditions where you could care less about them and treat them like totally worthless.

Old 09-20-2003, 08:06 PM
Trailblazer

I only have one thing to say. Though they are bulletproof, after you ride with someone who owns a Raptor, u will want more power and more speed. And though you can bore it, pipe it, K&N airfilter it, nothing will dramatically increase its power.

Old 09-20-2003, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

Bought mine brand new in 1990, been abusing it hard since and as long as ya treat it right with the normal maintenance it's VERY reliable. I often wish I was riding my Warpig (rather than my Raptor) when things get weird and I just need to get home [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 09-20-2003, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

Mine's a 2001 and I've put TONS of hours on it since I bought it at the beginning of summer. The guy that had it before me made it sound like it only had 7 hours on it, but after a few months of riding it, I'm starting to see how it was really treated. The bars were replaced, and he put new graphics on over the scratches that showed up after I washed it a few times, but he said it had never been flipped. Anyway, even after the abuse that the first owner apparently put on it, and my countless hours of riding almost every day, I have not had a single problem. And it even gets good gas mileage! Long live the Warrior.

Old 09-20-2003, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

I spent a bit on my motor and made my warrior very mean. Now I only get 3-4 hours to a gas tank though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] wanted to ride today but I was out of cash and no gas.

Quick Reply: How reilable is a warrior